Question Is it really true that 7950x randomly shuts off whereas 7900x is fine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mujmuj

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2015

This reviewer says "My biggest issue, however, was with the Ryzen 9 7950X. No matter what I did, it would just randomly reboot my PC from time to time. There was no blue screen and nothing in the Event Viewer. I tried troubleshooting it with AMD, but no luck. The Ryzen 9 7900X, on the other hand, has been a delight. "

This is hard to believe. If it really shuts of the PC without any warning from time to time, it's basically unusable. I wonder why he would face this issue. I want to ask you if you think this must be an issue specific to him, not for most people. If you think it's just specific to his some weird computer configuration, why would that be? Any guess?

This reviewer says "My biggest issue, however, was with the Ryzen 9 7950X. No matter what I did, it would just randomly reboot my PC from time to time. There was no blue screen and nothing in the Event Viewer. I tried troubleshooting it with AMD, but no luck. The Ryzen 9 7900X, on the other hand, has been a delight. "

This is hard to believe. If it really shuts of the PC without any warning from time to time, it's basically unusable. I wonder why he would face this issue. I want to ask you if you think this must be an issue specific to him, not for most people. If you think it's just specific to his some weird computer configuration, why would that be? Any guess?
Probably just inadequate BIOS

There is definitely a fault for this to be happening but who knows what is causing it. It could be a fault with the motherboard that is only triggered with the 7950x, a BIOS issue, a PSU issue or even a faulty cpu. A single review does not guarantee ‘normal’ behaviour is reported, if no other reviewer is reporting this problem then it is not a trend and something specific to this single reviewers setup.

Oct 5, 2022
My System is doing exactly this and it is driving me mad, predominantly it is happening when gaming.

At first i thought it was because i had set up curve optimiser in PBO, then i thought it was because i had HWinfo running (it had been causing slight lock ups when first starting) at the same time as gaming but it is still happening when everything has been set to default.

My hope is that it is because the BIOS for the x670e boards is clearly not mature at this stage and a later revision may resolve these issues, but i have also noticed that the second CCD is running consistently slower than the first one. Not unusual you might think but every core on that CCD is acting the same and under a full load (Cinebench 23) CCD1 hits 95c where as CCD2 only hits 89c.

I am using a Corsair H170 420mm AIO and have reseated it twice in case it was an inadequate mount, i am also using kryonaut Extreme paste. Under gaming i am lucky if i see 60c and it idles about 30c depending on the ambient temps.

One other issue is that am using non EXPO ram, which i was assured beforehand wouldn't be an issue, but i am starting to wonder if that might be contributing to the problem.

But when it goes, its like i have hit the reset switch, there is no lock up, no BSOD, just back to the incredibly long boot times and memory training for DDR5

Oct 14, 2022
My System is doing exactly this and it is driving me mad, predominantly it is happening when gaming.

At first i thought it was because i had set up curve optimiser in PBO, then i thought it was because i had HWinfo running (it had been causing slight lock ups when first starting) at the same time as gaming but it is still happening when everything has been set to default.

My hope is that it is because the BIOS for the x670e boards is clearly not mature at this stage and a later revision may resolve these issues, but i have also noticed that the second CCD is running consistently slower than the first one. Not unusual you might think but every core on that CCD is acting the same and under a full load (Cinebench 23) CCD1 hits 95c where as CCD2 only hits 89c.

I am using a Corsair H170 420mm AIO and have reseated it twice in case it was an inadequate mount, i am also using kryonaut Extreme paste. Under gaming i am lucky if i see 60c and it idles about 30c depending on the ambient temps.

One other issue is that am using non EXPO ram, which i was assured beforehand wouldn't be an issue, but i am starting to wonder if that might be contributing to the problem.

But when it goes, its like i have hit the reset switch, there is no lock up, no BSOD, just back to the incredibly long boot times and memory training for DDR5
An updates on this? I am experiencing the exact same issue. Event Viewer shows unexpected shutdown and that is it. Temps are great, I have a 1600w power supply which is going to have absolutely no issues keeping up with this. I did have an issue where ryzen master just being installed on the system seemed to cause some instability issues, but that was sorted out after uninstalling and the system seemed fine for a day. Now we are back to crashing all the time and I have even had it not boot up hanging on a red cpu q-led code. I have gone through and disconnected all power cables and reconnected, can’t seem to find any issue. Hoping we can solve this at some point as this is my new work computer and it currently is sitting, not booting, on a solid red cpu q-led code.

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
I hardly consider XDA to be a reliable PC source. As of late they've been diversifying their news (which I've protested) and often giving half @$$Ed news. The forums are fine but the front page....

Have you monitored the voltage?

Oct 5, 2022
An updates on this? I am experiencing the exact same issue. Event Viewer shows unexpected shutdown and that is it. Temps are great, I have a 1600w power supply which is going to have absolutely no issues keeping up with this. I did have an issue where ryzen master just being installed on the system seemed to cause some instability issues, but that was sorted out after uninstalling and the system seemed fine for a day. Now we are back to crashing all the time and I have even had it not boot up hanging on a red cpu q-led code. I have gone through and disconnected all power cables and reconnected, can’t seem to find any issue. Hoping we can solve this at some point as this is my new work computer and it currently is sitting, not booting, on a solid red cpu q-led code.

Yeah after a fashion.

I started to wonder if it was memory related so ran a couple of runs of Memtest86 and it indeed showed some errors, so i then went through a succession of BIOS revisions i think the day 1 BIOS it was on was 04xx something, then i went onto 0611 then eventually 0705, there was a couple of beta versions i tried 0703 and one that was 06xx. The two most recent ones 0703 (beta) and 0705 seemed to solve the problem, i am now running stable and haven't had a reboot since and memtest86 isnt showing any errors.

However, those bios revisions have put the board onto AGESA ComboAM5PI 1.0.0.3 patch A and ever since, my CPU now seems limited in its boost frequency to 5.5Ghz where as it was boosting to 5.75Ghz previously. So far i haven't been able to find any information on this new behaviour or indeed anyone else that is experiencing the same issue so it has me worried that the limit has been put in place by the BIOS because of some issues it is seeing. I don't even know if that's a thing, i am hoping there will be a new BIOS revision soon and that might solve this boosting issue.

I don't even know if that's a thing, i am hoping there will be a new BIOS revision soon and that might solve this boosting issue.

Yes, this is a thing. Whilst it doesn't happen with all Agesa updates - from time to time, voltages and tolerances are changed which can lead to different OC/Boost clocks. Sometimes limiting max boost speeds up or down. Be sure to clear CMOS after each update, and start any PBO/OC setting from scratch. Better to start them fresh than use older familiar settings you had.

You're all on early bios's. At this stage anyone with a Zen 3 platform, B550/X570 etc are well familiar with having to keep the bios updated pretty much all the time. Same applies with early adopters for Zen 4 B650/X670/E. It's par for the course. Will bring more mem compatiblity, GPU/CPU bug fixes, amongst other things.

Oct 5, 2022
Yes, this is a thing. Whilst it doesn't happen with all Agesa updates - from time to time, voltages and tolerances are changed which can lead to different OC/Boost clocks. Sometimes limiting max boost speeds up or down. Be sure to clear CMOS after each update, and start any PBO/OC setting from scratch. Better to start them fresh than use older familiar settings you had.

You're all on early bios's. At this stage anyone with a Zen 3 platform, B550/X570 etc are well familiar with having to keep the bios updated pretty much all the time. Same applies with early adopters for Zen 4 B650/X670/E. It's par for the course. Will bring more mem compatiblity, GPU/CPU bug fixes, amongst other things.

I always reset CMOS after an update as a matter of course, i have also come from X570 but i was slightly later on and not quite as early.

As for PBO setting? well i am getting -30 in curve optimiser against all cores (and its stable) but even at optimised default settings for the BIOs, i still have the same max boost issue.

Oct 14, 2022
I always reset CMOS after an update as a matter of course, i have also come from X570 but i was slightly later on and not quite as early.

As for PBO setting? well i am getting -30 in curve optimiser against all cores (and its stable) but even at optimised default settings for the BIOs, i still have the same max boost issue.

Can confirm that this issue is BIOS-related (at least in my case). As of late on the 13th, a BIOS update was released by ASUS for my ASUS TUF X670E-PLUS WIFI board and installing it has entirely resolved the issue, and has also cut boot times down to a fraction of what they were before. Previously, memory training would take between a minute and 1:30 on every startup or reboot. For reference, I am currently running 64GB (4x16GB) of DDR5 5600Mhz. Memory training is does not take any quantifiable amount of time any more after the BIOS update (used to hang on Q-LED for DRAM but that does not even light up any more before jumping straight into CPU during POST). Very pleased that it is not a hardware issue. I have not experienced any crashes so far either during work or gaming, and I have spent quite a number of hours on this BIOS version doing both.

Oct 21, 2022
As of late on the 13th, a BIOS update was released by ASUS for my ASUS TUF X670E-PLUS WIFI board and installing it has entirely resolved the issue

I just built a brand new system with this same board and it's hanging on initial boot with the orange DRAM qled lit up. I can't even get to the boot screen. I tried doing chat support with Asus and his first question was if I had an updated bios but I'm not aware of any way to update it without being able to get into the bios to do the update... I'm right, right? My case has been escalated to higher level support with Asus but I'm stuck and at this point assuming it's a hardware issue with the memory I have.

Oct 14, 2022
I just built a brand new system with this same board and it's hanging on initial boot with the orange DRAM qled lit up. I can't even get to the boot screen. I tried doing chat support with Asus and his first question was if I had an updated bios but I'm not aware of any way to update it without being able to get into the bios to do the update... I'm right, right? My case has been escalated to higher level support with Asus but I'm stuck and at this point assuming it's a hardware issue with the memory I have.

A few things. First of all, make sure that your monitor is plugged into the motherboard and not the graphics card. Second, if you are running 4 sticks of RAM, remove sticks 2 and 4, such that you only have two sticks left over in slots 1 and 3. After this, if it is taking a long time, leave it for a while. new boards take an extremely long time at first boot with DDR5. If you have waited for a really long time and the LED is still orange, you can try spamming the "delete" key a few times, though it likely will not break it out of the RAM hang. However, if you do make it past there, which is likely after removing some of the RAM, you can then head over to https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboard...ing/TUF-GAMING-X670E-PLUS-WIFI/HelpDesk_BIOS/ on another PC and download the BIOS update. Extract the file and run the BIOSRenamer.exe. This will rename the BIOS file, which you can then copy to the root of a FAT32 formatted flash drive (has to be FAT32. NTFS or other formats will not work). With that, you can plug it into a USB port on your motherboard and head over to the EZFlash3 tool in your BIOS. From there you will select the BIOS file from your flash drive and it will complete the process itself.

After updating, you can then reinsert any RAM that you removed, along with manually setting it to the desired clock speed (I have DDR5 5600MHz, but it would default to 3600MHz, so had to set it manually). I have not experienced a single crash on the new BIOS and I use this computer extremely heavily.

Best of luck! Feel free to reach out if you are still experiencing issues!

Oct 5, 2022

Not sure if it will work in your circumstances but you could also try using the BIOS flashback facility.

Basically do everything as @AndrewRivers except plug the usb stick in the bottom USB slot of the 4 stack next to the Ethernet port

This video will give you the low down:

Oct 21, 2022

Thanks! I just posted my own thread over here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/new-build-boot-failure-diagnosis-x670-am5-ddr5.3782214/ so as not to detract from this string... I'll try letting it just sit for a bit and see what happens. No way I know to flash a new BIOS without even being able to get into the BIOS settings... is there? Feel free to reply over on the other thread.

Oct 5, 2022
A few things. First of all, make sure that your monitor is plugged into the motherboard and not the graphics card. Second, if you are running 4 sticks of RAM, remove sticks 2 and 4, such that you only have two sticks left over in slots 1 and 3. After this, if it is taking a long time, leave it for a while. new boards take an extremely long time at first boot with DDR5. If you have waited for a really long time and the LED is still orange, you can try spamming the "delete" key a few times, though it likely will not break it out of the RAM hang. However, if you do make it past there, which is likely after removing some of the RAM, you can then head over to https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboard...ing/TUF-GAMING-X670E-PLUS-WIFI/HelpDesk_BIOS/ on another PC and download the BIOS update. Extract the file and run the BIOSRenamer.exe. This will rename the BIOS file, which you can then copy to the root of a FAT32 formatted flash drive (has to be FAT32. NTFS or other formats will not work). With that, you can plug it into a USB port on your motherboard and head over to the EZFlash3 tool in your BIOS. From there you will select the BIOS file from your flash drive and it will complete the process itself.

After updating, you can then reinsert any RAM that you removed, along with manually setting it to the desired clock speed (I have DDR5 5600MHz, but it would default to 3600MHz, so had to set it manually). I have not experienced a single crash on the new BIOS and I use this computer extremely heavily.

Also just to clarify, if you do have 4 sticks of RAM, you want to leave two sticks in, so if the slot furthest away from the CPU is slot 1 and the one nearest is 4, then you leave sticks in 1 and 3 - basically the furthest away slot and the one between the remaining three.

Oct 5, 2022

Greggory_B

Honorable
Nov 26, 2015
I had the exact same issue with the 7950X with an Asus Crosshair Extreme. The PC would reboot with no notification and go through up to 30 minute memory tests. I tried G Skill and Corsair memory but with no luck. I ended up just returning everything and sticking with my 5950X system which was faster anyway. I may just switch to Intel

NoLongerHuman

Commendable
Sep 3, 2020
Unfortunately I have this issue on my msi Meg Ace X670e. I have the most recent bios but this still happens to me only in certain games like MW2, Valhalla, and specifically weird west it happens so much. It’s a new system with a 4090 and 7950x I tried all the things commented here and nothing seems to be faulty. I got great temps too

quickce

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008

FWIW, I was having the same issue with my R9 7950X paired with Asus X670E Strix Motherboard and G. Skill Flare X 6000Mhz memory.
I was having random reboots for no reason and no BSOD. I did a little research and found that sometimes CPU C-states and cause issues. So as a test, I disabled C-states in the BIOS. I'm now on 24 hours with no random reboots. Disabling C-states is a workaround, not a fix, but at least I am not dealing with the random shutdowns.

Jan 15, 2023
FWIW, I was having the same issue with my R9 7950X paired with Asus X670E Strix Motherboard and G. Skill Flare X 6000Mhz memory.
I was having random reboots for no reason and no BSOD. I did a little research and found that sometimes CPU C-states and cause issues. So as a test, I disabled C-states in the BIOS. I'm now on 24 hours with no random reboots. Disabling C-states is a workaround, not a fix, but at least I am not dealing with the random shutdowns.

I am also having the same problem. sometimes crashs without BODS. I 'll try to disable c-state as you did for test :(.

kamikazedan

Honorable
Apr 25, 2017
Just confirming that I have a 3950X with an ASUS ROG Strix X570-F Gaming (Latest BIOS) that has had this issue for years.
It's been through multiple formats so I know it's a hardware issue.
Global C-states have to be permanently disabled in BIOS otherwise it just randomly cuts power and boots back up when idle for any period of time (seen it happen after a couple of minutes and after 30 minutes plus). I would watch it power off instantly, load back to the Windows login screen, idle again, power off instantly, then just get stuck in this loop until I intervened.
The issue never happened while it is in active use. Disabling the c-states fixed the issue permanently.
No hope of AMD ever fixing this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.