[SOLVED] Is it really true that Windows 10 now natively supports Playstation Dualshot 4 controller without the use of 3rd party app?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
I read that Windows 10 now supports the Sony DualShock 4 controller wireless without the need to install DS4Windows nor other 3rd party program. Is this really true? Do all functions of the controller such as motion detection, gyroscope/accelerometer, touchpad work fine?

Solution

If you want to have Dualshock's features (such as motion sensing) you will need to get the adapter, Sony provides. Basically, you can use the Dualshock via Bluetooth but all its features will be lost. The adapter works as a "translator" for both the Computer and the Dualshock and you get everything you would be getting if you had a PS4.

If you do not have enough USB ports...

iaminsensible

Proper
Jan 1, 2019
You can connect the controller to your computer with the included USB-to-micro-USB cable—the same one you use with your PS4—and use it as a wired controller. It will “just work” without any additional setup. To wirelessly connect your PlayStation 4 controller with a PC without any additional hardware, you’ll need to put it in Bluetooth pairing mode. Many people report the controller’s Bluetooth connection can be a bit flaky on PC, depending on your Bluetooth chipset and drivers, so you may want to use a wired connection or an official wireless adapter if you experience problems.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017

Thanks. If I prefer a wireless controller, is it better to get a Xbox Wireless controller instead? How bad it is without special features (e.g. trackpad, motion sensing) that the ps4 controller offers?

Also, it seems that both Sony and MS offer some kind of wireless adapter for Windows 10. Why we need those adapter given that the controllers have bluetooth?

iaminsensible

Proper
Jan 1, 2019

If you want to have Dualshock's features (such as motion sensing) you will need to get the adapter, Sony provides. Basically, you can use the Dualshock via Bluetooth but all its features will be lost. The adapter works as a "translator" for both the Computer and the Dualshock and you get everything you would be getting if you had a PS4.

If you do not have enough USB ports you can always purchase a USB Hub so that's not really an issue.

Xbox's Controllers are more "native" to the PC as they share very similar features. That means that it will be easier for an Xbox controller to work with a computer rather than a Dualshock.

If I had to choose, I would, without second thoughts, purchase a Dualshock adapter.

Solution