Question Is it really worth overclocking your CPU

briblo1982

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2015
I was just curious if you really see a difference with overclocking your cpu. I just recently bought a water cooler for my cpu. Does it make it run better?

The way I see it is if you already have the right parts and don't have to go out and get a better cooler etc, it's free performance. Like stated wether or not you see a difference, depends on what you're doing. But if you just like to mess around with settings, and don't go overboard, why not do it?

I was just curious if you really see a difference with overclocking your cpu. I just recently bought a water cooler for my cpu. Does it make it run better?
Yes, it runs better if it's overclocked. A movie encoding that would take about 20 min's is complete in 15 min's now. Doesn't sound like a lot but it helps when done a couple dozen times a day.

Whether you notice it depends entirely on how you use your system. I mainly like to know I'm getting maximum value for my dollar spent, which also suggests I won't waste money on Intel since they stick it to you hard for the privilege of overclocking. So if you're an Intel fan and don't feel the urge to overclock avoid the expensive overclockable parts (motherboards/CPU's/memory).