[SOLVED] Is it risky to use 5 year old power supply unit cooler master gs 700w for new pc, going to buy in few days?

manoj327

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2014
Hi Tom'sHARDWARE,

I am going to upgrade my pc in few days from i5 to AMD 3700x, Asus tuf x570 plus motherboard, and ddr4 3200mhz ram 8gb X 2.
my old 1tb HDD, 2tb HDD, 2 sata SSD remains same.

i have corsair GS700W psu right now with me from my old pc, planning to buy corsair rm750x 80 plus gold but couldn't find it online or at my local retailer. "out of Stock".

my old psu corsair GS700W working fine without any issues till now which i bought on 2014.

I will get corsair rm750x 80 plus gold when stock is available.

1. am i keeping my new pc at risk using old corsair GS700W psu?
  2. cooler master power supply units are good choice to take for high end PC?
  3. going with ddr4 3200mhz c16 or c18 good for gaming
  4. what about Seasonic psu's, are they good for not frying my pc?
Thanks & Regards,
Manoj.

Last edited:
Solution
Hi Tom'sHARDWARE,

I am going to upgrade my pc in few days from i5 to AMD 3700x, Asus tuf x570 plus motherboard, and ddr4 3200mhz ram 8gb X 2.

i have coolermaster GS700W psu right now with me from my old pc, planning to buy corsair rm750x 80 plus gold but couldn't find it online or at my local retailer. "out of Stock".

my old psu Cooler Master GS700W working fine without any issues till now which i bought on 2014.

1. am i keeping my new pc at risk using old Cooler Master GS700W psu?
  3. going...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Hi Tom'sHARDWARE,

i have coolermaster GS700W psu right now with me from my old pc, planning to buy corsair rm750x 80 plus gold but couldn't find it online or at my local retailer. "out of Stock".

my old psu Cooler Master GS700W working fine without any issues till now which i bought on 2014.

1. am i keeping my new pc at risk using old Cooler Master GS700W psu?
Thanks & Regards,
Manoj.

Can you double-check the model? I have no recollection of a GS700 from Cooler Master and am unable to find reference to any one on the internet. There's a Corsair GS700, which ought to be OK for now, but I'd look to replace in the medium-term since it's fairly old at this point.

Cooler Master PSUs are not typically good performers outside of a few of their series: V series made by SeaSonic, MasterWatt Maker series. The recent MWE Gold series is fine, but not top-tier. Quality drops off from there and the lows from Cooler Master are shockingly low.

Lower latency the better, but it won't be a dramatic difference in gaming.

SeaSonic PSUs are excellent; they're one of the top manufacturers of PSUs and make many of the top PSUs for other brands. I would probably avoid the lowest end of their product stack, the S12/M12 PSUs simply because they're an older design.

What's your GPU? That's the most crucial information for a PSU choice, but you didn't supply information about a GPU. And you have to have a GPU with this build because you have no other source of integrated graphics.

Solution

manoj327

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2014
Can you double-check the model? I have no recollection of a GS700 from Cooler Master and am unable to find reference to any one on the internet. There's a Corsair GS700, which ought to be OK for now, but I'd look to replace in the medium-term since it's fairly old at this point.

Cooler Master PSUs are not typically good performers outside of a few of their series: V series made by SeaSonic, MasterWatt Maker series. The recent MWE Gold series is fine, but not top-tier. Quality drops off from there and the lows from Cooler Master are shockingly low.

SeaSonic PSUs are excellent; they're one of the top manufacturers of PSUs and make many of the top PSUs for other brands. I would probably avoid the lowest end of their product stack, the S12/M12 PSUs simply because they're an older design.

What's your GPU? That's the most crucial information for a PSU choice, but you didn't supply information about a GPU. And you have to have a GPU with this build because you have no other source of integrated graphics.

Thank you for your reply DSzymborski

1. for psu, model i will check and confirm, right now i am at my office.
  2. my gpu is asus gtx 1070 8gb.

manoj327

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2014

No it should work as intended, and as it is a quality PSU it shouldn't give you problems even if it fails

1. no risk
  2. yes they are
  3. try to get cl 16 or lower at least 3200 is good 3600 is better
No it should work as intended, and as it is a quality PSU it shouldn't give you problems even if it fails

Thank you for your reply Quanticriver.

Reactions: Quanticriver
Aug 26, 2020
That PSU only has a three year warranty and you've been using it for six years. It would probably last you quite a while longer or at least until you can find a new psu in stock, but I'd still advise swapping it out when there's stock availible. Call me paranoid, but I'd rather have the peace of mind of being in the warranty period of my PSU. I wouldn't say its 'risky', but I'd replace it when you get the chance.

Last edited:

ChrisComments

Prominent
Aug 11, 2020
Hi Tom'sHARDWARE,

i have corsair GS700W psu right now with me from my old pc, planning to buy corsair rm750x 80 plus gold but couldn't find it online or at my local retailer. "out of Stock".

my old psu corsair GS700W working fine without any issues till now which i bought on 2014.

1. am i keeping my new pc at risk using old corsair GS700W psu?
Thanks & Regards,
Manoj.
Why x570?

Aug 26, 2020
That PSU is older than six years.

More like 8.

That is a REALLY OLD PSU that wasn't that great to begin with. It's double forward, group regulated... and old.

I'd replace it.
The OP purchased the PSU in 2014, not when it was intially manufactured. It COULD be one that has been actively used for eight years, but that would depend on if he purchased it new or used - something which wasn't stated in the original thread so I'm assuming they purchased it new.
'i bought on 2014.'

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
The OP purchased the PSU in 2014, not when it was intially manufactured. It COULD be one that has been actively used for eight years, but that would depend on if he purchased it new or used - something which wasn't stated in the original thread so I'm assuming they purchased it new.
'i bought on 2014.'

The manufacturer date is relevant because of how electrolytic capacitors work.

Aug 26, 2020
The manufacturer date is relevant because of how electrolytic capacitors work.
Could you please elaborate? I would have assumed that a power supply that has been actively used for 6 years would not have an equal failure rate as one that had been actively used for 8. The manufacture date certainly matters, but would a PSU purchased new in 2014 really be manufactured 2 years prior?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Could you please elaborate? I would have assumed that a power supply that has been actively used for 6 years would not have an equal failure rate as one that had been actively used for 8. The manufacture date certainly matters, but would a PSU purchased new in 2014 really be manufactured 2 years prior?

Frequently, yes. And JG is in a unique position to know the timelines of when Corsair manufactured that PSU. Someone just asked about a new, in-box Corsair CX 600 the other day and that hasn't been made in a lot longer than two years.

Capacitance decreases when stored for a long time without charge. Most companies that have these on stock are not necessarily being scrupulous in the storage or reconditioning them in any way.

manoj327

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2014
Frequently, yes. And JG is in a unique position to know the timelines of when Corsair manufactured that PSU. Someone just asked about a new, in-box Corsair CX 600 the other day and that hasn't been made in a lot longer than two years.

Capacitance decreases when stored for a long time without charge. Most companies that have these on stock are not necessarily being scrupulous in the storage or reconditioning them in any way.
You're spending good money on good parts. Get a good PSU too.
i will, but out of stock right now,
want to take rm750x corsair 750w psu
will take few months later.

Aug 26, 2020

I see. Thanks for explaining this to me. OP should definitely swap it out when there's stock availible.