Is it safe and worth overclocking?

KrunchTime11

Commendable
Aug 29, 2016
I have an ASUS Strix GTX 1070 OC Edition and I am considering overclocking it more than the factory OC. The reason I haven't overclocked it because im worried it will fail on me and the warranty wouldn't cover it.

Same with my i7-6700k, I have a Z170 motherboard so I could make the motherboard overclock it but I'm afraid it will fail on me.

Could anyone give me suggestions on how far to overclock these parts and how to keep them stable?

Thanks!

Solution
OCing either the CPU or the GPU is pretty much the same, take tings up slowly, monitor temps and test for stability (something like ROG Real Bench is good), if stable and temps are OK, then try up a little more and repeat ;)
What kinds of goals are you looking to achieve by OCing? Have you ever attempted before? If not, I'd definitely recommend reading the many guides available so you understand the risks. You will likely void your warranty from OCing, but unless you do something extreme you'll typically have plenty of warnings, crashes, POST issues, ect. before you would actually damage the part. Generally speaking, it's much "safer" to OC to an extend that years past. How far you can go with your components depends on quite a few factors. What are the actual system specs for you PC matter for example. Some are more "OC friendly" than others. A quality PSU is very important. Cooling is very important. This list goes on. However, with all this said, you seem hesitant to want to OC because of this risks involved. These components aren't cheap either, of course. In the end, only you can decide if it's worth the risk to you.

Melonious

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
Pretty safe to OC a graphics card to reasonable amounts. If one core gets glitchy not the end of the world. You should get lockups long before you have any chance to ruin any of the vram, which is your main worry. So I would not worry too much but you might reduce your life for the card a bit.