Question Is it safe for a Intel i9-9900K (not OC'd) to be 70c while gaming

SMund93

Reputable
Dec 12, 2015
System specs:
Intel i9-9900K (not overclocked)
EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 SSC 6GB
Asus Prime Z370-A II
Corsair H100i CPU cooler (re-pasted within the last week)
Corsair 750D Carbide Full tower case.

I have been doing some of my own research but thought I would open this up for discussion so I can get a second opinion. My CPU will idle at 30c but when under load (AAA title games) it will reach and stay at about 75c. I run games on ball park medium settings, making sure to turn down things such as anti-aliasing ETC.

The games I am running are performing without any issues, I just have never seen temps this high before in my CPU, hence my worry.

I should also mention that I have seen it mentioned a few times that the temperature I'm describing is considered "safe but a little warm" whilst under load. I'm using a programme called Specy to view temperatures and everything else (other than GPU which reaches 70c) is being recorded in the high 20's - low 40's under load.

Apologies in advance if this is nothing to worry about, just looking for another opinion.

Darkbreeze

Titan
Anything below 85°C is safe for ANY Intel Core-i processor. We'd prefer to see normal peak temps, whether overclocking or not, stay below 80°C. Your temps of 70°C while gaming, on the 9900k, are probably about in line with most results using a 240mm cooler. Moving up to a 280 or 320mm might drop you by about five degrees if you wanted to upgrade the cooling at some point, but you are fine where you are now.

SMund93

Reputable
Dec 12, 2015
Anything below 85°C is safe for ANY Intel Core-i processor. We'd prefer to see normal peak temps, whether overclocking or not, stay below 80°C. Your temps of 70°C while gaming, on the 9900k, are probably about in line with most results using a 240mm cooler. Moving up to a 280 or 320mm might drop you by about five degrees if you wanted to upgrade the cooling at some point, but you are fine where you are now.
Appreciate your quick response and reassurance. If any body else could offer up anything of note it would also be appreciated.

Darkbreeze

Titan
Nothing else of note is required, other than this. This has ALL you need to know about the Core-i architecture and considerations regarding it.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS