[SOLVED] Is it safe for my CPU to run at about 95degrees for a couple hours at a time?

Solution
that cooler should be fine as it's rated for 200w which is more than you'll ask it to do by a long shot.

as for thermal paste, i still use good old Artic Silver 5 which can be had for about $6 and will last forever since you use so little at a time.

https://www.newegg.com/arctic-silver-as5-3-5g/p/N82E16835100007

if you want to spend a bit more, the Grizzly Krynaut is a bit better but 2x the cost. good for a couple degrees cooler if that makes you sleep better at night :)

https://www.newegg.com/thermal-grizzly/p/13C-003E-00004

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
nope, not at all, not even a little bit.

you need better cooling if you're running the chip that hard!! that is right at the max temp for the chip and hours of it will damage the chip probably sooner rather than later

get better cooling, or turn the speed/voltage down to bring those temps into a better area.

Reactions: Yadro and GarrettL

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
Basically title. I have an AMD 5 2600X. Thanks
Depends on whether you plan on keeping it for more than a week or so - if longevity is not a goal, then ramp up the voltage a little.

Not sure how you are getting those temps from that - did you use thermal paste? is the fan spinning? do you have other case fans (blowing in the same direction)...

Depends on whether you plan on keeping it for more than a week or so - if longevity is not a goal, then ramp up the voltage a little.

Not sure how you are getting those temps from that - did you use thermal paste? is the fan spinning? do you have other case fans (blowing in the same direction)...
I dont know how you are getting those temps either, unless you have a massive overclock. Even the stock cooler the CPU comes with does a better job cooling than that.

Luke2323

Prominent
Dec 17, 2019
Haha, no I don't really know why it's happening. I get those temps when I'm doing the Folding@Home project even on light settings. Even with the side panel open. I have no I idea what I'm doing wrong :/
Also yea, I only have 1fan since I currently can't afford more :/

Luke2323

Prominent
Dec 17, 2019
I don't really know why it's happening. I get those temps when I'm doing the Folding@Home project even on light settings. Even with the side panel open. I have no I idea what I'm doing wrong :/
Also yea, I only have 1fan since I currently can't afford more :/ I didn't over clock it at all... Maybe I messed up the cooler when I was putting it on?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
there is more going on if your not overclocked ans running those temps. you should start by removing the heatsink from the cpu, cleaning it and the top of the cpu real well, and then reapplying thermal paste.

a very small pea sized drop in the middle is all that's needed. or if you wish to cover the whole cpu lid, then a coating thin enough to see through is all you need there.

if that does not do the trick, then not sure what is going on. even a poorly vented case won't cause such temps unless it's sitting next to a heat duct!!

Reactions: Yadro
Apr 14, 2020
Alright, if I were to lower the voltage to 1 until I get new fans would that fix it?
Yes. For the time being, it will work with the overheating problem. Any app like 'Throttlestop' will be handy for you now. But, undervolting your CPU will not solve the problem in the long run.
Before you plan to buy a new cooler for your CPU, it will be wise to find out what's happening actually. You are not running any GPU or CPU intensive programs. As per your definition, the airflow is not glitchy.
And, you are not overclocking it. Even if you overclock it, the temp is absurd. Check the heat sink, the fan, and most importantly the thermal paste. I hope your problem is roaming around these issues only.

Alright, if I were to lower the voltage to 1 until I get new fans would that fix it?
Don't try that it might make it unstable, in fact you should leave it in AUTO so it can lower voltage itself when it's getting hot. Running any separate utilities will probably do more harm than good.

Instead if you look through your BIOS you should find a setting that lets you set a maximum temperature for the CPU. I'd suggest setting that to 90C or maybe even 85.

But as said before, check heatsink mounting and thermal compound and if that doesn't help get more cooling.

Luke2323

Prominent
Dec 17, 2019
Ok thank you, I will be reapplying the thermal paste since I think I messed it up when I was building it since this is the first PC I ever built. Could you please recommend some cheap thermal paste. Thank you

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
that cooler should be fine as it's rated for 200w which is more than you'll ask it to do by a long shot.

as for thermal paste, i still use good old Artic Silver 5 which can be had for about $6 and will last forever since you use so little at a time.

https://www.newegg.com/arctic-silver-as5-3-5g/p/N82E16835100007

if you want to spend a bit more, the Grizzly Krynaut is a bit better but 2x the cost. good for a couple degrees cooler if that makes you sleep better at night :)

https://www.newegg.com/thermal-grizzly/p/13C-003E-00004

Reactions: Yadro
Solution

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
those fans should work for basic case airflow though note they are called "hybrid" fans as they are neither specificly designed for case airflow or heatsink cooling.

"static pressure" is what you'll want for a heatsink fan as it will push air through the small fins well. but higher "air flow" is what you'll want for case fans. being in the middle means it won't do either the best. but honestly, such low powered cpu should not need a crazy amount of airflow anyway.

Luke2323

Prominent
Dec 17, 2019
Ok, I'm going to use those for case cooling. Do you have a better suggestion for the same price and all the things that one has? Also, I was playing a bit of Apex Legends and I'm hitting about 85c, is that good?