[SOLVED] Is it safe to buy a CPU without its box?

Spirals

Prominent
Mar 8, 2019
i saw a deal in which offers an R3 2300x, its cheaper than a 2200g, but with a tradeoff, i only get to buy the proc and hsf cooler, without it being in the ryzen box. Is it safe? Are there risks? If so, how much are there?

Lemme explain here.. the hsf was held in a black box, and the tray was held by plastic. Both of which are held separately, but theyre tied together using rubber band

Reactions: mkaafy
Solution
i saw a deal in which offers an R3 2300x, its cheaper than a 2200g, but with a tradeoff, i only get to buy the proc and hsf cooler, without it being in the ryzen box. Is it safe? Are there risks? If so, how much are there?

Lemme explain here.. the hsf was held in a black box, and the tray was held by plastic. Both of which are held separately, but theyre tied together using rubber band
EITHER it's used or it's a 'tray' processor, as they call it.

If used....well, you should know what that means and to protect yourself against DOA, or accept the risk.

A tray processor was sold to an OEM for including in systems they're building and selling. AMD warrants the processor to the OEM, not to the ultimate customer. So in case of...

If used....well, you should know what that means and to protect yourself against DOA, or accept the risk.

A tray processor was sold to an OEM for including in systems they're building and selling. AMD warrants the processor to the OEM, not to the ultimate customer. So in case of failure you'd have to return to the seller or whoever the OEM buyer is, which is pretty impractical as you could see.

Forgeries are possible by changing the markings on the heatspreader. But that reveals itself as soon as installed and booted up of course. Although, by then it's usually too late. Otherwise, with no bent pins and functional it could be a good buy.

Last edited:
Solution

Spirals

Prominent
Mar 8, 2019

A tray processor was sold to an OEM for including in systems they're building and selling. AMD warrants the processor to the OEM, not to the ultimate customer. So in case of failure you'd have to return to the seller or whoever the OEM buyer is, which is pretty impractical as you could see.

Forgeries are possible by changing the markings on the heatspreader. But that reveals itself as soon as installed and booted up of course. Although, by then it's usually too late. Otherwise, with no bent pins and functional it could be a good buy.
Sorry for replying to you this late, i hope this doesnt bother you, if you want clearer info about how it is packaged, i have the photo. Although i apologize since its low quality
New--no. Used--yes.
Well, the seller said it was new, and it has warranty for 3yrs

Sorry for replying to you this late, i hope this doesnt bother you, if you want clearer info about how it is packaged, i have the photo. Although i apologize since its low quality

Well, the seller said it was new, and it has warranty for 3yrs
Yeah, new without the box unless explained as open box and the history of why it is open box sets off my shady alarm. Fakes can even have the 'right' serial numbers on them when you call in for warranty and only until have to send it in do they keep it and tell you you're out of luck because it was a fake good. F that.