Question Is it safe to buy a graphic card with no warranty?

Apr 15, 2019
Hello guys, so i recently bought a new computer specs:
Cpu:i5 4570 3.2 ghz
Ram:8gb
Hdd:500gb
Psu:thermaltake 400w
My budget is 120$ and i found on internet someone selling his 1060 (3gb) for 120$ (don't ask me to go with the rx570 it's overpriced in my country) and he told me that he bought it 2 months ago but it has no warranty , he also invited me to his house to test it what should i do guys?

The original owner bought it just 2 Months back, and there is NO WARRANTY left whatsoever ? Sounds a bit strange. But, if he has invited to his house to test the card, then you can do that.

There is always some RISK factor involved in buying used and second hand GPUs, that too without any warranty, unless we are fully sure about the reputation of the seller. I would still suggest you to grab a new card, if possible.

Which brand is he selling, Zotac, MSI, ASUS, EVGA, or some other vendor ?

Wendigo

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2002
brand new costs around 200-220 dollars
Then 120$ looks like a fair price for a used one. FWIW, in these stituations, I ask mysellf if I could afford to buy a second item at the same price in case the first one brokes during what would have been the warranty period. If the answer is yes, then I take a chance on the used item. If the answer is no, I pass and wait for a better deal or a new one. In the end, it's really up to you to decide if it's worth the risk or not.

Apr 15, 2019
The original owner bought it just 2 Months back, and there is NO WARRANTY left whatsoever ? Sounds a bit strange. But, if he has invited to his house to test the card, then you can do that.

There is always some RISK factor involved in buying used and second hand GPUs, that too without any warranty, unless we are fully sure about the reputation of the seller. I would still suggest you to grab a new card, if possible.

Which brand is he selling, Zotac, MSI, ASUS, EVGA, or some other vendor ?
Exactly that's why i i posted this
Uh it's a gigabyte card 1fan

Apr 15, 2019
Then 120$ looks like a fair price for a used one. FWIW, in these stituations, I ask mysellf if I could afford to buy a second item at the same price in case the first one brokes during what would have been the warranty period. If the answer is yes, then I take a chance on the used item. If the answer is no, I pass and wait for a better deal or a new one. In the end, it's really up to you to decide if it's worth the risk or not.
Unfortunately no i don't have extra money or i would go for a new one uk .... I geuss i need to take the risk

crystalcity

Proper
Dec 5, 2018
Can't remember the last time I bought a new gpu with warantee card, but yes its a risk!

Kind of agree with Wendigo's advice. I could easily have bought a 2nd or 3rd of any of my used gpu's in the event of failure. But GPU's that work and test out OK tend to keep working. If you decide to go check it out, run a benchmark while you're there.

Also like Metal says.. you're probably covered by the manufacturer coverage even if you don't have the retail receipt or warantee card. I guess it depends on your country's laws, but here in the US you would be covered I do believe.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah that does sound very weird that a new-ish card wouldn't have a warranty. The only thing i can think of is that there's self-inflicted damage done to the card, like something was broken. Because manufacturer warranties don't cover user damage, they only cover manufacturer damage. In other words you break it you bought it.

If you're serious about buying I would inspect for damage before even remotely considering it.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Apr 15, 2019
Can't remember the last time I bought a new gpu with warantee card, but yes its a risk!

Kind of agree with Wendigo's advice. I could easily have bought a 2nd or 3rd of any of my used gpu's in the event of failure. But GPU's that work and test out OK tend to keep working. If you decide to go check it out, run a benchmark while you're there.

Also like Metal says.. you're probably covered by the manufacturer coverage even if you don't have the retail receipt or warantee card. I guess it depends on your country's laws, but here in the US you would be covered I do believe.
Ok thanks for the reply man but what benchmark shall i run ? I don't really know this kind of stuff

Apr 15, 2019
Yeah that does sound very weird that a new-ish card wouldn't have a warranty. The only thing i can think of is that there's self-inflicted damage done to the card, like something was broken. Because manufacturer warranties don't cover user damage, they only cover manufacturer damage. In other words you break it you bought it.

If you're serious about buying I would inspect for damage before even remotely considering it.
According to the photos it looks perfectly fine :/

crystalcity

Proper
Dec 5, 2018
The seller probably just doesn't know how warranties work. You could be covered just fine by factory warranty even though you are not the original buyer. You've got to do some reading on your local laws to determine that though.

I'd just run heaven or whatever bench is handy and quick. Its just to make sure there are not strange results. No crashes or artifacts or studder. Not necessarily to check the bench results, although that would be even better if you made sure those lined up too.

I've got to say, its highly unusual in my experience for a seller to offer a test. I've never had it happen. The usual for me is we meet up at a starbucks and I'll ask a few questions to feel the seller out. And that has worked out for me 100% so far. Never got a bum card yet. The fact that the seller is offering the test up is a huge reputation plus in my book.

If something doesn't feel or sound right, just say thank you for your time and go home.

Last edited:
Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Apr 15, 2019
So i decided not to take the risk for the guy and his card being suspicous .... I'll look for other deals and i'll ask u guys if i need anything , thanks a lot for your time <3

TRENDING THREADS