Is it safe to buy a used modem from eBay if the Mac address is shown to the buyers?

GOWKratos

Honorable
Dec 16, 2013
Hello! I'd like to buy a used modem from eBay and I was wondering if there is a problem buying a used one from eBay if the seller shows pictures of the modem showing the Mac address of it and sometimes even the password and username of it! I ask because sometimes people sell them for cheap but they show the Mac address of the modem and therefore I don't know if it is safe to buy because of hackers and all that. Thank you :)

Solution
Is this modem on the approved list from your ISP? If not, they might not assist when/if you have an issue.
Is it incredibly cheap? 50% or less than new?

I've bought a lot of things from eBay. But for electronics, only if I could not get that particular piece elsewhere. I'd rather buy new, over depending on some dudes used stuff.

As far as the MAC address & username/pwd....the MAC address is only useful if someone is connected to your network.
The default username/password for any particular model is easily findable by looking up the users manual. And you should change it anyway.

USAFRet

Titan
Is this modem on the approved list from your ISP? If not, they might not assist when/if you have an issue.
Is it incredibly cheap? 50% or less than new?

I've bought a lot of things from eBay. But for electronics, only if I could not get that particular piece elsewhere. I'd rather buy new, over depending on some dudes used stuff.

As far as the MAC address & username/pwd....the MAC address is only useful if someone is connected to your network.
The default username/password for any particular model is easily findable by looking up the users manual. And you should change it anyway.

Solution

GOWKratos

Honorable
Dec 16, 2013
Thank you for the reply. Yes, it is a modem supported by my ISP, and sometimes they go beyond 50% off. I know some of them can stop working in months or even weeks but I am okay with that :) So we could say that it is "safe" buying one of those based on the details of my first post? Thanks again!

USAFRet

Titan

Probably safe, yes. (Given the other weirdnesses of buying electronics from eBay)