Is it safe to buy computer parts off eBay?

christianelliott

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
Hello, I am building a computer, and the motherboard that I want, an asus saber tooth z77 is 245 dollars on amazon and tigerdirect. However, I can get it for under 200 dollars on eBay. I don't know much about eBay however, so is it safe to buy delicate things from them like motherboards, or is it too huge a risk? There is a no returns policy.

Thanks

kurjack

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
Buying a motherboard on ebay is like trusting the future of your own child to another person. They could either do a good job or a bad job, either way if they do bad your screwed. Saving a 100$ is not worth what hassles could await if you buy on ebay.

kurjack

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011

And if you get the board and its doesn't work out of the box what do you do then. RMA it and wait a month to try and build your machine again.

Ebay items can be a hit and miss.

Who knows what the previous user did with their equipment?

I would rather save up money and buy from a proper store than buy something off of ebay (unless I know for sure I am getting an item that hasn't been tampered with). This way at least you get a good warranty if the part fails.

If you buy the item off of ebay - and it craps out on you 1 day later, you will be out that money you spent on the item, no warranty, no RMA, do not pass go.

fudoka711

Distinguished
Yea I think you've found a "safe" eBay seller to buy from. I agree that buying computer parts off of eBay is really hit or miss. If you find a reliable electronics seller - make sure you save them in your favorites so you can always go back to them later if the need arises.

wiinippongamer

Distinguished

Same thing anywhere else you buy, RMA process is usually more like 2 weeks. I've heard many horror stories about amazon/newegg/tigerdirect and whatnot.

Ebay is fine, only buy from credible buyers with high feedback ratings. Also I wouldn't buy a motherboard unless they offer refund options for DOA or non-functioning boards. I buy the majority of my stuff on ebay it's the only way I can resell a build and make enough of a profit for it to be worthwhile. I offer warranties on my machines that were made from used parts from Craigslist or Ebay. I have yet to replace anything except for a powersupply or two. But those were bought new.

christianelliott

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012

I would, but this item is an auction that I hope to win. They have the same item for much more in buy-it-now