[SOLVED] Is it safe to change turbo ratio on intel turbo boost?

rapahamune

Prominent
Jan 26, 2019
First of all, I am new to overclock, started recently and I read the very basics, but still a noob.
I know it is not a "classical" OC since I'm not changing the base frequency and vcore, but I was looking into my BIOS and saw the turbo ratio for intel turbo boost, it was set to:
active cores:
1 - 4,6
2 - 4,5
3 - 4,5
4 - 4,4
5 - 4,4
6 - 4,3
First of all I changed them all to 4,6, it worked, I got a stable system and all cores running on 4,6 underload. After that I pushed a little and set to 4,7, also stable and cool.
Is it considered overclocking? Is it safe? I use HWiNFO64 to monitor stuff, temps are fine but sometimes I see the voltage on some cores peaking at 1.47-1.50.

System:
Gigabyte Z370M Aorus gaming
I5-9600k
16 GB RAM 2400 Mhz
Gigabyte RTX 2070 windforce

Solution
That's because you have voltages set for auto, which always errs on the side of caution by adding more and more.

If you change any aspect of how the cpu functions, any deviation from its factory set regulations, that's overclocking. Even the factory overclocks, technically, since turbo is not Intel base speed.

But the largest factor of any overclock is balance. If you raise speeds, you may need to raise cooling ability to compensate. You may need to adjust current and/or power phase use to compensate. Most overclockers will universally agree that if you are going to manually raise the speeds past a certain limit, then you must also manually adjust the voltages to match.

For instance, my cpu has a base speed of 3.4GHz. It has a turbo...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That's because you have voltages set for auto, which always errs on the side of caution by adding more and more.

If you change any aspect of how the cpu functions, any deviation from its factory set regulations, that's overclocking. Even the factory overclocks, technically, since turbo is not Intel base speed.

But the largest factor of any overclock is balance. If you raise speeds, you may need to raise cooling ability to compensate. You may need to adjust current and/or power phase use to compensate. Most overclockers will universally agree that if you are going to manually raise the speeds past a certain limit, then you must also manually adjust the voltages to match.

For instance, my cpu has a base speed of 3.4GHz. It has a turbo of 3.9GHz. At that speed factory vcore is @ 1.25v. I have that i7 overclocked to 4.6GHz and voltage is manually set at 1.19v, the cpu runs at 1.18v. Much lower than the automatic setting the speed would bump. At 4.9GHz I get 1.32v.

Most beginners assume you must add voltage for OC. Actually, for many OC, it's the opposite, you'll be setting negative offsets, lowering vcore etc.

What the cpu thinks it needs for stability and what the cpu actually needs for stability are two totally different numbers in most cases. If you want to OC within safe limits and get the most out of the OC safely, you'll need to get educated. Read everything and anything from OC on that motherboard, OC on other motherboards, OC on that cpu. What was done, but just as important, Why it was done. The more you understand about the cause and affects of OC, the better off your OC will be.

Solution

rapahamune

Prominent
Jan 26, 2019

For instance, my cpu has a base speed of 3.4GHz. It has a turbo of 3.9GHz. At that speed factory vcore is @ 1.25v. I have that i7 overclocked to 4.6GHz and voltage is manually set at 1.19v, the cpu runs at 1.18v. Much lower than the automatic setting the speed would bump. At 4.9GHz I get 1.32v.

Most beginners assume you must add voltage for OC. Actually, for many OC, it's the opposite, you'll be setting negative offsets, lowering vcore etc.

What the cpu thinks it needs for stability and what the cpu actually needs for stability are two totally different numbers in most cases. If you want to OC within safe limits and get the most out of the OC safely, you'll need to get educated. Read everything and anything from OC on that motherboard, OC on other motherboards, OC on that cpu. What was done, but just as important, Why it was done. The more you understand about the cause and affects of OC, the better off your OC will be.

Thanks for the explanation, I’m gettig hyped about learning. Also, do you know any guides with more in depths about voltage, current, power phase, c-states? Not so advanced though.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Wiki. YouTube. Linustechtips.com. RealhardtechX. Jonnyguru and many others. Forums are good too, look for questions and read the answers.

There's tons of info that's all relevant. Best thing to do is pick just one. Read up a bunch on it, bookmark any that really help you understand what you are looking at. Then when you think you have a firm grasp, re-read some of the more technical ones, see what other common references they follow. And so on. Like vcore will often reference LLC, vid, vccio etc, it's a chain that you follow one step at a time. Eventually the light bulb goes off and things really start falling into place, the relationships, the balance, the dance.