[SOLVED] Is it safe to clean the bottom of intel cpu with deodorant?

Ainez

Prominent
Sep 26, 2020
Hello,
I found few corner gold contacts dirty which may block from prevent a good contact with the pins. Is it safe to gently rub the gold contacts on the bottom of intel cpu using soft paper tissue or cotton with body-spray deodorant?
Thanks in advance.

will try that too, after the surgical spirit at dispensary.
Actually...I would not use surgical spirit. That's actually not common in American drug stores, or dispensaries, so I had to look it up. The listings I found show it contains alcohol but also other things like methyl salicylate or chlorexidine gluconate. Almost certainly good for wound disinfecting it's not certain they aren't bad for electronic use in the long term. They're certainly unnecessary and probably best to avoid unless it can be confirmed they're harmless. Some common household chemicals can lead to early failure of the extremely thin gold plating on the contact pads of LGA processors.

Just stay with plain old IPA...isopropyl alcohol. Preferred 70-90% solution and widely available at dispensaries. Do not get rubbing alcohol... scented alcohol with oils or anything else. Also effective with most modern thermal pastes is wiping off with paper towel or coffee filter, often with nothing else needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ainez

Ainez

Prominent
Sep 26, 2020
Actually...I would not use surgical spirit. That's actually not common in American drug stores, or dispensaries, so I had to look it up. The listings I found show it contains alcohol but also other things like methyl salicylate or chlorexidine gluconate. Almost certainly good for wound disinfecting it's not certain they aren't bad for electronic use in the long term. They're certainly unnecessary and probably best to avoid unless it can be confirmed they're harmless. Some common household chemicals can lead to early failure of the extremely thin gold plating on the contact pads of LGA processors.

Just stay with plain old IPA...isopropyl alcohol. Preferred 70-90% solution and widely available at dispensaries. Do not get rubbing alcohol... scented alcohol with oils or anything else. Also effective with most modern thermal pastes is wiping off with paper towel or coffee filter, often with nothing else needed.
Neither here, that I discovered, told me to get it from hospital. Have to find the isopropyl alcohol, and hope they'll be willing to sell it.

... Have to find the isopropyl alcohol, and hope they'll be willing to sell it.

Why would that be? It's not ethyl alcohol (aka vodka) which is consumable and many countries require a minimum age if available at all.

You might also look for methylated alcohol or methylated spirits. That's ethyl alcohol with an adulterant added to make it unconsumable. That might actually be the same as 'surgical spirits' I just don't know...and would never use in the place of it for cleaning wounds or surgical implements either.

Last edited:

Ainez

Prominent
Sep 26, 2020
Why would that be? It's not ethyl alcohol (aka vodka) which is consumable and many countries require a minimum age if available at all.

You might also look for methylated alcohol or methylated spirits. That's ethyl alcohol with an adulterant added to make it unconsumable. That might actually be the same as 'surgical spirits' I just don't know...and would never use in the place of it for cleaning wounds or surgical implements either.
I had very bad experience(s) purchasing stuffs here, particularly at dispensary, people are weird, therefore suspicion is a common nature, besides the lack of common sense. From medicine to underwear, yes, funny it may sound, they would lie even about having any stock of underwear ( non-duplicate ones ).

Amddefector

Reputable
Sep 5, 2020
I've cleaned plenty of electrical things with deodorant (not anti perspirant) just give it a wipe afterwards with a cloth to remove any residue. Electrical contact cleaner is good but also give it a wipe to remove any residue.