Is it safe to compress game files?

G

So I have a 1TB external HDD that I use for storing Steam games that I don't play, that way I don't have to deal with downloading them over my internet. TO save some space, I was thinking of compressing these game files that are on my 1TB HDD. I know that compressed files can't be used, so I would decompress them before moving them over to my computer. Would the games still run fine?

Solution
Depending on the file type and compression method, some files may rarely break. Moreover, for all you know, they might be compressed with a proprietary format already, with decompression being handled on the fly at runtime (which is what mostly happens anyway)

It'll work 99% of times, but there's always that 1% chance of failure you can't ignore. You could end up having to not only decompress the game before playing, but also having to check it and repair it.

Vynavill

Honorable
Depending on the file type and compression method, some files may rarely break. Moreover, for all you know, they might be compressed with a proprietary format already, with decompression being handled on the fly at runtime (which is what mostly happens anyway)

It'll work 99% of times, but there's always that 1% chance of failure you can't ignore. You could end up having to not only decompress the game before playing, but also having to check it and repair it.

Solution