Question Is it safe to continue to use my router that has burning smell due to higher voltage adapter?

smalltech

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
I am using router RT-N15U with the 12V DC adapter that it comes with.

Today I have no internet connection so I tried to troubleshoot. I am a noob so I plugged in a 15V DC adapter (that comes with old modem) into RT-N15U, and it causes a burning smell near the adaptor connector at the RT-N15U power connector. I switch it off immediately. Total power on time about 5 seconds. I guess the higher voltage caused the burning smell.

After that I bought a 12V DC adapter that is exactly the same as the adapter RT-N15U and connect to RT-N15U, the RT-N15U router LED light up and seems like the router would work, but I dare not connect for long duration to test if work, as the router has burning smell earlier. May I know is it still safe to use the router for long time if it works well, I am not sure if it will some day catch fire because it had burning smell earlier on.

Thanks

I am using router RT-N15U with the 12V DC adapter that it comes with.

Today I have no internet connection so I tried to troubleshoot. I am a noob so I plugged in a 15V DC adapter (that comes with old modem) into RT-N15U, and it causes a burning smell near the adaptor connector at the RT-N15U power connector. I switch it off immediately. Total power on time about 5 seconds. I guess the higher voltage caused the burning smell.

After that I bought a 12V DC adapter that is exactly the same as the adapter RT-N15U and connect to RT-N15U, the RT-N15U router LED light up and seems like the router would work, but I dare not connect for long duration to test if work, as the router has burning smell earlier. May I know is it still safe to use the router for long time if it works well, I am not sure if it will some day catch fire because it had burning smell earlier on.

Thanks
I wouldn't trust it any more.