Is it 'safe' to defrag under XP?

I recently upgraded from 98SE - I rarely ran a defrag under 98SE
because after I did, the system always seemed a little unstable for a
day or two. Nothing major, but an extra crash or two, occasionally had
to re-install an App. Did they get it right for XP (Home, SP2)? I s
defrag totally painless?

thanks
/j

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

I defrag in XP, need to about every week. I normally see a speed-up (i have 3
machines). Hope this helps.

"Jeff W" wrote:

> I recently upgraded from 98SE - I rarely ran a defrag under 98SE
> because after I did, the system always seemed a little unstable for a
> day or two. Nothing major, but an extra crash or two, occasionally had
> to re-install an App. Did they get it right for XP (Home, SP2)? I s
> defrag totally painless?
>
> thanks
> /j

Hey Jeff! :)

XP's defrag works just fine, but a third-party app like Diskeeper or
PerfectDisk gives more options and better performance.

--
James M. Fisher
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

<Please reply in the newsgroups>
"Tony" <Tony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I defrag in XP, need to about every week. I normally see a speed-up (i have
>3
> machines). Hope this helps.
>
> "Jeff W" wrote:
>
>> I recently upgraded from 98SE - I rarely ran a defrag under 98SE
>> because after I did, the system always seemed a little unstable for a
>> day or two. Nothing major, but an extra crash or two, occasionally had
>> to re-install an App. Did they get it right for XP (Home, SP2)? I s
>> defrag totally painless?
>>
>> thanks
>> /j

martin

James M. Fisher [MVP] wrote:

> Hey Jeff! :)
>
> XP's defrag works just fine, but a third-party app like Diskeeper or
> PerfectDisk gives more options and better performance.

I believe XPs defrag is Diskeeper in a cut down form

martin

Martin wrote:

> I believe XPs defrag is Diskeeper in a cut down form

You are indeed quite right Martin, as i would expect from someone called
Martin! lol.

--
Best Wishes from Martin

So many questions, so few answers.

martin

Martin wrote:
> Martin wrote:
>
>> I believe XPs defrag is Diskeeper in a cut down form
>

> You are indeed quite right Martin, as i would expect from someone called
> Martin! lol.

I had to look twice when you replied to the post about Firefox :)

cheers

"Martin" <martin.s@dsl.pipexdotcom> wrote in message
> Martin wrote:
>
>> I believe XPs defrag is Diskeeper in a cut down form
>

> You are indeed quite right Martin, as i would expect from someone called
> Martin! lol.
>
> --
> Best Wishes from Martin
>
> So many questions, so few answers.

If you use Diskeeper, it will be impossible to see where the relationship is
between Diskeeper and the WINXP Defragger. Whereas 'Executive' may have had
some involvement in developing the MS WINXP defragger I suspect any
relationship with the present version of Diskeeper is remote to say the very
least.

RobR

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2004

Hi,

or you try mst Defrag (http://www.mstsoftware.com). It's very fast and it
consumes only small memory.

If you like you can read a test on Kickstart News:
http://www.kickstartnews.com/reviews/utilities/mst_defrag_workstation.html

Bye
Rob

"James M. Fisher [MVP]" <xrayjames@msn.com> wrote in message news:<ONI1JGCxEHA.3624@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>...
> Hey Jeff! :)
>
> XP's defrag works just fine, but a third-party app like Diskeeper or
> PerfectDisk gives more options and better performance.
>
> --
> James M. Fisher
> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
> Service Pack 2 Master List:
> http://jmfmvps.mvps.org/SP2.htm
>
> <Please reply in the newsgroups>
> "Tony" <Tony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I defrag in XP, need to about every week. I normally see a speed-up (i have
> >3
> > machines). Hope this helps.
> >
> > "Jeff W" wrote:
> >
> >> I recently upgraded from 98SE - I rarely ran a defrag under 98SE
> >> because after I did, the system always seemed a little unstable for a
> >> day or two. Nothing major, but an extra crash or two, occasionally had
> >> to re-install an App. Did they get it right for XP (Home, SP2)? I s
> >> defrag totally painless?
> >>
> >> thanks
> >> /j

TRENDING THREADS