[SOLVED] Is it safe to disable Automatic Restart?

Rdgeno

Reputable
Aug 28, 2019
Hi I hope this is posted in the correct area.

My specs are as follows:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 11 Home

Version 10.0.22000 Build 22000

Other OS Description Not Available

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name Robert

System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

System Model B450M DS3H WIFI

System Type x64-based PC

System SKU Default string

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor, 3593 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. F52, 1/7/2021

SMBIOS Version 3.2

Embedded Controller Version 255.255

BIOS Mode UEFI

BaseBoard Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

BaseBoard Product B450M DS3H WIFI-CF

BaseBoard Version x.x

Platform Role Desktop

Secure Boot State Off

PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible

Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS

System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Locale United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.22000.527"

User Name Robert/Robert

Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB

Total Physical Memory 15.9 GB

Available Physical Memory 10.1 GB

Total Virtual Memory 18.8 GB

Available Virtual Memory 9.75 GB

Page File Space 2.88 GB This is all the information I could think might be helpful. I searched, “My computer keeps rebooting itself”. One solution says to disable automatic restart. I’m leery of doing that because and it’s just a guess but I’m thinking it’s doing that to protect something. I installed the Microsoft update and Batman Arkham Knight within a day or so of each other around when the problem started. The first thing that happened was Windows had to do a start up repair a couple of days later. I don’t know if this matters but prior to the startup issue my GPU’s lights didn’t turn on until after I was signed in, now they start with the system. For some reason it decided not to see my (I) drive I restarted it and it’s been fine. I searched, “My computer keeps rebooting itself” and tried the solutions plus anything else I could think of here is the list. SFC All variations of DISM I ran Microsoft’s virus scan along with Malwarebytes and a few others. The temp on the CPU is between 42 and 73 C. The only possibly odd thing I noticed was when it was running the scan the voltage went from 40.3 to 86.6 Watts. I don’t know if that’s normal but Windows scan was using a ton of resources. I tried installing MSI Afterburner to look at the GPU but it gives me an error saying there’s an issue with side-by-side configuration. The best I can say about the GPU is with just the desktop the temp is around the mid 40’s C and during the game 57 max that I could see. I’m using alt + Z to bring up the Nvidia Performance. I can’t use the computer and leave it open so 57 is the top that I saw but it takes a few seconds to get it up so I’m not sure of the accuracy. I tried the Event Viewer but I have no idea what to look for. I scanned the drives and there’s no issues. I can't say if the fan is turning on more often because I wasn't paying attention to it before.So if it’s safe I’m figuring my last option is disabling the reboot. Thank you in advance and I’m sorry for the length but I wanted to make sure you understood why I’m considering turning auto reboot off and what I tried to fix it in case that highlights a problem I’m not seeing.

Reactions: George Stamper
Solution
Thank you you answered a question I didn't ask along with what I did and that's how to see what happened.
I'm not getting the BSOD though usually it just goes black then restarts like hitting the restart button.
Today it did that weird noise with a few blocks of color and rebooted.
Is there anything specific I'm looking for in Event Viewer?
I'm just hoping it's not a hardware problem. I have backups I can reinstall Windows no problem.
Look in Windows Logs -> System for Errors that contain "Bug Check." These are BSOD errors and they'll tell you the stop code which you can use to look up online what this may point to.

Also you can use WhoCrashed to check BSOD dumps and it'll tell you which file caused the problem
When Windows has a BSOD, it will dump the contents of memory into a file and then restart. Automatic restart prevents that last bit from happening because sometimes the BSOD happens so fast you don't actually see what's going on.

Preventing it from automatically restarting means you can see the BSOD error code, which is useful for troubleshooting. However, if the system is more or less stable after a restart, you can also just look in Event Viewer -> System for bug check logs.

Rdgeno

Reputable
Aug 28, 2019
When Windows has a BSOD, it will dump the contents of memory into a file and then restart. Automatic restart prevents that last bit from happening because sometimes the BSOD happens so fast you don't actually see what's going on.

Preventing it from automatically restarting means you can see the BSOD error code, which is useful for troubleshooting. However, if the system is more or less stable after a restart, you can also just look in Event Viewer -> System for bug check logs.
Thank you you answered a question I didn't ask along with what I did and that's how to see what happened.
I'm not getting the BSOD though usually it just goes black then restarts like hitting the restart button.
I'm just hoping it's not a hardware problem. I have backups I can reinstall Windows no problem.

Look in Windows Logs -> System for Errors that contain "Bug Check." These are BSOD errors and they'll tell you the stop code which you can use to look up online what this may point to.

Also you can use WhoCrashed to check BSOD dumps and it'll tell you which file caused the problem

Solution

Rdgeno

Reputable
Aug 28, 2019
Hi sorry to bug you again. I went to WindowsLogs but there isn't a system folder there's SIH and SystemRestore.
In Windows debug there is a file that says PASSWD but it's blank.
In Event Viewer I found a warning and an error and the event ID is 2505.
I found a place that said disable NetBios and the responses said it worked.
Again I would ask is it safe to disable that?
WhoCrashed couldn't read the logs because they weren't enabled. I enabled them and uninstalled everything from the time that the problem occured till now.
It crashed this morning a few seconds after I started it and this time before the reboot for a split second I saw a green screen that looks like the BSOD.
From what I understand Windows 11 has green instead of blue is that correct?
Thank you for your help I really appreciate it.

Rdgeno

Reputable
Aug 28, 2019

I figured it out.
I went to disable fast boot a few weeks ago and was lazy. Instead of shutting it off I returned the bios to default.
It shut TPM off and I guess that was the problem I put it back and it hasn't had a problem in 36 hours.
I don't know if it makes sense but it seems to have solved it. Thanks again for your help.

Reactions: hotaru.hino