is it safe to download active x?

Andy

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

i need to install an active x control called java from sun microsystems to
use a particular website. Is it safe to download and install this?, would
it cause any problems on my pc? I am using xp home by the way.

Any advice much appreciated.

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Yes, it is safe to download the Sun Microsystems ActiveX control.

Free Software - Java Software for the desktop
http://java.com/en/index.jsp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Andy" wrote:

| I need to install an active x control called java from sun microsystems to
| use a particular website. Is it safe to download and install this?, would
| it cause any problems on my pc? I am using xp home by the way.
|
| Any advice much appreciated.

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Make sure you check the ActiveX signed and the cert is good before you
download if you concert about the security.

Robert Gu

rights

> Yes, it is safe to download the Sun Microsystems ActiveX control.
>
> Free Software - Java Software for the desktop
> http://java.com/en/index.jsp
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

> "Andy" wrote:
>
> | I need to install an active x control called java from sun microsystems
> | use a particular website. Is it safe to download and install this?,
> would
> | it cause any problems on my pc? I am using xp home by the way.
> |
> | Any advice much appreciated.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Come on. Give the guy a break. From the tenor of his post I seriously doubt
that he'll know what a "cert" is and how to tell if it's good or not.

Kurtz

"Robert Gu [MSFT]" <robertg@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Make sure you check the ActiveX signed and the cert is good before you
> download if you concert about the security.
>
> Robert Gu

> rights

> > Yes, it is safe to download the Sun Microsystems ActiveX control.
> >
> > Free Software - Java Software for the desktop
> > http://java.com/en/index.jsp
> >
> > --
> > Carey Frisch
> > Microsoft MVP
> > Windows XP - Shell/User
> >
> > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
> > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx

----------

> > "Andy" wrote:
> >
> > | I need to install an active x control called java from sun
microsystems
> > | use a particular website. Is it safe to download and install this?,
> > would
> > | it cause any problems on my pc? I am using xp home by the way.
> > |
> > | Any advice much appreciated.

Jimmy

run mozilla.org firefox browser. does not support that
dangerous activex.

confers no
>> rights
>>
>> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in
message
>> > Yes, it is safe to download the Sun Microsystems
ActiveX control.

>> > Free Software - Java Software for the desktop
>> > http://java.com/en/index.jsp
>> >
>> > --
>> > Carey Frisch
>> > Microsoft MVP