[SOLVED] Is it safe to flash oc vbios onto a non-oc card?

oofnillas

Commendable
Jun 9, 2021
Ok, so i want to flash my Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti to a OC version (GV-N105TD5-4GD) to (GV-N105TOC-4GD)
Am i able to do this (note: has same power limits and device id)

oofnillas

Commendable
Jun 9, 2021
C:\Users\Daniel\Downloads\NiBiTor.v6.06>nvflash64 -6 Gigabyte.GTX1050Ti.4096.170623.rom
NVIDIA Firmware Update Utility (Version 5.715.0)
Copyright (C) 1993-2021, NVIDIA Corporation. All rights reserved.

Checking for matches between display adapter(s) and image(s)...

WARNING: Firmware image PCI Subsystem ID (1458.3763)
does not match adapter PCI Subsystem ID (1458.3764).

You are intending to override PCI Subsystem ID.
Are you sure you want to continue?
Press 'y' to confirm (any other key to abort):
should i press any

C:\Users\Daniel\Downloads\NiBiTor.v6.06>nvflash64 -6 Gigabyte.GTX1050Ti.4096.170623.rom
NVIDIA Firmware Update Utility (Version 5.715.0)
Copyright (C) 1993-2021, NVIDIA Corporation. All rights reserved.

Checking for matches between display adapter(s) and image(s)...

WARNING: Firmware image PCI Subsystem ID (1458.3763)
does not match adapter PCI Subsystem ID (1458.3764).

You are intending to override PCI Subsystem ID.
Are you sure you want to continue?
Press 'y' to confirm (any other key to abort):
should i press any
well press Y to proceed to flashing.

i was so scared at first
i can still feel it
You're very lucky...but not out of the woods yet. One of the significant differences between cards can be VRM subsystems. The vBIOS also initializes and parameterizes that so if done incorrectly it could end up damaging VRM components or simply being unstable. Hopefully (and probably more likely) the latter which will leave you to wanting to flash back to the original vBIOS. Of course, better yet is when the VRM is identical between the two cards.

Another difference is when memory chips being used are different and require different timings to be stable. That might can be overcome with an appropriate overclocking utility, but what's the point of flashing a vBIOS if you have one of those that works on your card?

BTW, there are ways to recover if the bios bricked the card even if you don't have a bios flasher device like CH341A . Having a CPU with an iGPU helps with that since you'd need two GPU's in the system to do it. It entails using the functioning GPU for the display, and using switches in the command line flashing tool to direct the BIOS flash to the bricked card by it's PCI ID.

Last edited:
Reactions: lga1156_ftw