[SOLVED] Is it safe to format an SSD through Windows 10 Media Toolkit during boot?

TakedaYabu

Commendable
May 27, 2016
I have a laptop with an SSD but I need to format it. And the only way for this to happen is through the Windows 10 Media Toolkit in an USB and reinstall it again.

Is it safe to use the format feature of the Windows Media Tool for the SSD?

I heard about TRIM Command and Secure Erase Command but I cannot do this since it's my only disk in my PC!...

Solution
its doubtful that will you will notice any difference between its performance before or after a fresh install.. Negatively anyway.

The wear and tear of an SSD is over a period of years and its not dependent on how many times you reinstall Windows. Research involves over thousands of trials in terms of input and out along writing data. So, don't worry, reinstalling Windows will not affect its performance or reliability.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...n-an-ssd/36f88d3e-18cf-49ea-9a94-21749db7c802

Colif

Win 11 Master
Windows 10 Media Toolkit in an USB and reinstall it again.

Do you mean the windows media creation tool? Did you use it to make a Win 10 installer?

Format feature? the simplest way to reinstall win 10 is to do a clean install, it includes, as part of its process, a complete wipe of the ssd without the need to format it first.

boot from installer

follow this guide: Win 10 Fresh install guide

when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished

Secure erase is usually a feature built into the BIOS, you don't need an operating system to use it.

otherwise you can wipe ssd using this:
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type diskpart and press enter
type list disk and press enter
this shows all drives available, DVD/USB and hdd, make note of hdd number
type Select disk X - where X is the number of the hdd you want to wipe, change X to that number and press enter
once the drive you want to wipe is chosen, type Clean

Reactions: TakedaYabu

TakedaYabu

Commendable
May 27, 2016
Thanks for the reply, but I have some questions still.

Yes, I meant the Windows Media Creation Tool in which I used countless times to delete all partitions and everything from HDD's successfully, in order to install a fresh new Windows 10 all over again.

Although, my question lies in on I can do the same exact thing, but for an SSD without damaging it (ideally, with the Secure Erase Command that not only cleans all data in an SSD, but also refreshes the SSD to its original speed from factory).

Can I achieve that Secure Erase Command by following the 12 steps that you just mentioned?

TakedaYabu

Commendable
May 27, 2016
Just to be clear - Windows Media Creation Tool - creates windows installation media (USB flash drive or ISO file). It doesn't do anything other than that.

Deletion of partitions you do from inside of windows installation process. And yes - it's safe to use for SSD.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, inside the Windows installation process!

I know it's safe but, I'm afraid that by deleting the partitions like it always did to my HDD's, will damage my SSD this time.

My question is, following this same method of deleting partition by using the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool will wipe out all existing data and conserve it's speed just like a Secure Erase Command would (which is according to that I researched, the best method to clean SSD's)?

No. Secure erase is entirely different thing.
Deleting of a partition is completely safe to SSD. It doesn't matter, if you do it from windows Disk Management or from windows installation environment. Process is the same.

Diskpart clean is easiest/fastest method for cleaning a drive (HDD or SSD).

TakedaYabu

Commendable
May 27, 2016
So if I to proceed the deletion process as I described through the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool (delete partition and all existing data in the SSD), the SSD won't lose speed or sacrifice performance because of that action?

Last edited:
So if I to proceed the deletion process as I described through the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool (delete partition and all existing data in the SSD), the SSD won't lose speed or sacrifice performance because of that action?

There are a few million Windows 10 setups done using the default Win 10 setup media and deleting the partitions using it, there is no issues with doing it on an SSD. You already had this answered 3 times in this thread though.

TakedaYabu

Commendable
May 27, 2016
There are a few million Windows 10 setups done using the default Win 10 setup media and deleting the partitions using it, there is no issues with doing it on an SSD. You already had this answered 3 times in this thread though.

I understand.

In order to finalize this thread, I need to make sure that wiping all data through the Delete Partition method (in order to install a fresh Windows 10 afterwards onto a clean drive), won't by any means affect my SSD speed or perfomance?

TakedaYabu

Commendable
May 27, 2016
That is exactly what was already said 4 times, nothing will happen to the disk.

Ok, thank you very much =)

I was afraid that it would slow my SSD by doing whatever it did to my HDD before... becuase I didn't know how Windows 10 Media Creation Tool handled that to my SSD.

Now I can use Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to delete its partitions and all existing data in the SSD without worry!

Thank you very much for your patience! =)

TakedaYabu

Commendable
May 27, 2016

Colif

Win 11 Master
its doubtful that will you will notice any difference between its performance before or after a fresh install.. Negatively anyway.

The wear and tear of an SSD is over a period of years and its not dependent on how many times you reinstall Windows. Research involves over thousands of trials in terms of input and out along writing data. So, don't worry, reinstalling Windows will not affect its performance or reliability.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...n-an-ssd/36f88d3e-18cf-49ea-9a94-21749db7c802

Solution