[SOLVED] Is it safe to fully load my PSU?

May 30, 2022
Hello everyone. I want to record my gameplay with OBS and although i dont have a capture card anymore, i have my old GPU laying around (I want to use it as the encoder).
My PSU is the Corsair RM750X (2018). The estimated wattage of my PC is 719W according to pc partpicker.

Would it be safe to install the old GPU?
No OCs will be done to any of the parts.

Here's the pc partpicker link of my build:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6RPV4s

Solution
A potential issue is that 3000 series graphics cards can apparently have much higher than nominal power demand spikes.
Your psu is a good one though, and since you have the ability, you could test the setup. I can not say anything about safety issues though.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Most power supplies are rated as "peak" wattage rating. It is normal to run them at a much lower sustained rate. I would consider that rating (PCPP) is probably maximum voltage of those parts but am not totally sure.

Probably be worthwhile to plug some things into other power calculators such as Outervision and see if the numbers come up around the same. 750W PSU is the minimum recommended for the 3080 and the RMx are considered decent units....just the same, I would probably feel more comfortable myself with a bit more headroom given the price of those components.

Reactions: drxllxffxct
A potential issue is that 3000 series graphics cards can apparently have much higher than nominal power demand spikes.
Your psu is a good one though, and since you have the ability, you could test the setup. I can not say anything about safety issues though.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS