[SOLVED] Is it safe to insert a new SSD into my motherboard?

Jul 13, 2021
Hello!
A few days ago I made a rookie mistake.
I was using windows where my computer completely froze while trying to open Event Viewer. Out of panic, I held down the power button, and weird things started happening, first the computer did not POST, because of a DRAM error, reseating the RAM fixed it. After that I've been able to go into the BIOS, where everything seems normal, except for my NVME M.2 SSD, which disconnects after trying to do anything with it. The only solution that brings it back to the BIOS, is doing a full powercycle (unplugging and plugging in the powercord). I tried updating the BIOS (which was succesful), but to no avail. I even took it to a service, where they said that yeah the SSD is completely dead.
So my question is, if I RMA the SSD and get it back, then would it be safe to install it in the motherboard, without the risk of ending on the same fate as the other one? I'm sorry if it's a dumb question in general, but I'M quite nervous about it. Any help would be appreciated, and if somethings not clear, don't be afraid to ask.

Solution
Holding down the power button to force a shutdown should not impact any hardware.

SSD makers will have diagnostic apps particular to their devices.
I would see if that could fix your problem by initializing the device, or perhaps a firmware update is needed.
Holding down the power button to force a shutdown should not impact any hardware.

I would see if that could fix your problem by initializing the device, or perhaps a firmware update is needed.

Solution
Jul 13, 2021

I tried that, but to no avail. I took the SSD to a service, where they confirmed that it's dead, and that they can't do anything about it, and they told me to start an RMA.

Hello!
A few days ago I made a rookie mistake.
I was using windows where my computer completely froze while trying to open Event Viewer. Out of panic, I held down the power button, and weird things started happening, first the computer did not POST, because of a DRAM error, reseating the RAM fixed it. After that I've been able to go into the BIOS, where everything seems normal, except for my NVME M.2 SSD, which disconnects after trying to do anything with it. The only solution that brings it back to the BIOS, is doing a full powercycle (unplugging and plugging in the powercord). I tried updating the BIOS (which was succesful), but to no avail. I even took it to a service, where they said that yeah the SSD is completely dead.
So my question is, if I RMA the SSD and get it back, then would it be safe to install it in the motherboard, without the risk of ending on the same fate as the other one? I'm sorry if it's a dumb question in general, but I'M quite nervous about it. Any help would be appreciated, and if somethings not clear, don't be afraid to ask.
Perhaps the ssd just died which is why the pc froze.....stuff happens.
RMA the disk and try a new one.

Jul 13, 2021
Turning off the power should not damage hardware...at worst you'll have data corruption because something did not get a chance to write to the drive.
That's glad to hear. I was so nervous about putting in a new SSD, because if it would be ruined too, I wouldn't have been able to return it probably. Still don't quite understand how my SSD got bricked tho.

TRENDING THREADS