Is it safe to keep my PC tower under my desk? (Gaming)

M05final

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2014
So i was curious on how safe it is to keep my PC tower under my desk?

I used to have my tower on the side of my desk which gave it quite a bit of breathing room. But recently i just re-did the room in my house and got a bigger desk which doesn't give me the room to put it on the side anymore. So ive been forced to put it under or on top of my desk. Since i plan on having multi monitors on my desk i decided to try and have my tower under my desk. I have actually never had a tower under my desk before so i was wondering how safe it would be?

PC parts: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/ssLZK8 (2 GTX 970 (Not added))

What i use my PC for?: Gaming

Image:
a3w3g3Y.jpg

The back of the computer has just about the same amount of space in the back has the top does.

Solution
I've had my PCs under my desks for over 20 years, never had a problem with it. Fresh air in practically all cases come in from the bottom of the front panel and goes out through the rear and top, there isn't really any issues with hot air recirculating under an open desk. If the case has a bottom intake for the PSU, the case should have tall enough feet to provide sufficient clearance on a hard flat floor, no need to worry about that either unless you think your case doesn't stand far enough off the ground on its own.
Not an ideal thing to do .... however, make sure that you

1. Keep space around all sides

2. Get it off the floor.

3. Provide a means of getting the hot air out from under desk

Of course it's all about what your are doing ... in my office the gals loved having them under their desk ... kept their feet warm :) .. and that's OK for an office box, but a workstation, gaming box, overclocking geek thing will serve better with some love.

Providing 1.5 - 2" or so space at the wall would be an excellent move.

InvalidError

Titan
I've had my PCs under my desks for over 20 years, never had a problem with it. Fresh air in practically all cases come in from the bottom of the front panel and goes out through the rear and top, there isn't really any issues with hot air recirculating under an open desk. If the case has a bottom intake for the PSU, the case should have tall enough feet to provide sufficient clearance on a hard flat floor, no need to worry about that either unless you think your case doesn't stand far enough off the ground on its own.

Solution

M05final

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2014

Thanks for the reply.
I would be using this for gaming. i have never actually gave the right side of my tower and room since its just the back panel for the wiring and doesn't have any vents on that side. However for airflow the front of my case has a cover which comes off and opens 2 intake fans. and the drawers right next to the pc doesnt actually go all the way back it. It actually leaves about 5-7 inches of space from the wall. So hopefully the would be good for helping hot air leave.

I also dont OC.

Please mind the cords.
But this is about the gap
AeRQzAg.jpg

M05final

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2014

Thanks for the reply.
i do have pretty tall legs on the tower. it about 1 inch tall. Also so far on
AL suite 3 its telling me my temps are 25-30C and the highest ive seen it gaming so far is 45C.