ShwaBdudle

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
I have an i7 10700K and recently I did a bios update and after the update, the CPU fan speed changed drastically and my CPU temps were 50+ degrees Idle. I quickly went into the bios and noticed that the fan speed was set to auto. I messed around a bit with the speed and changed the CPU fan speed to 100% (1,600 RPM, Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4) and the 3 system fans to 100% (1,300 RPM AVG, The case that I have is "ICUE 465X RGB" and it comes with 3 fans: "LL120 120mm"). one thing I have to mention is that after the bios update it had actually automatically set the CPU fan at this speed but then I changed the bios settings to default. so my guess is that before the bios update my CPU and system fans were all at 100%. after the bios update, I switched the bios settings to default which enabled Auto mode. and because of the auto mode, my CPU temps were higher than usual. in the past month or so I have been running all of the fans at 100% Speed, My PC is on around 12 hours every day. so I wanted to ask if it's ok to keep the CPU fan and 3 system fans at 100% Speed?

BTW my core temps are between 27-40 degrees idle (with the fans being at 100% speed)

Solution
Yes, they can run at full speed, but why?
In Bios set up fan curves and let bios control the speeds, fans will speed up when gaming and slow down when computer is idle.
Main concern with fans should be temperature under full load!
In Bios set up fan curves and let bios control the speeds, fans will speed up when gaming and slow down when computer is idle.
Main concern with fans should be temperature under full load!

Last edited:
Solution

ShwaBdudle

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
Main concern with fans should be tmperature under full load!
[/
I cant enable auto mode for the CPU fan since I have already tried that and I ended up with 50+ degrees idle. the auto mode created a loop between CPU fan usage and CPU temps. between 30-40 degrees the fan would slow down a lot which ended up heating the CPU since it didn't receive strong enough cooling. the temps went up and the fan started to speed up, but it was still not enough. so it ended being at around maybe 70% fan speed (or maybe different Speed %, I don't remember) and 50+ temperature idle. and the system fans were actually by default (I THINK, I'm not entirely sure of this) at 70-100% Speed, though again, I can't exactly remember.