Is it safe to move my current pc's component's to another chassis?

PhaseBeats

Reputable
Sep 29, 2014
I was thinking of moving my pc's component's to another chassis, but was wondering if it was safe to do so. I would imagine that it would be generally fine as long as everything was put back the same way, I'm just worried if something might go wrong like with my hardrive and my SSD.

I was also considering to replace my current power supply if I do end up doing that to maybe find something that may be more reliable. It's currently an EVGA 600 watt power supply, which has been in my system for about two years. Several months ago, there was a weird goo under my computer located beneath the power supply that was on the dresser that it is standing on. Not really sure what that might've been, but if anyone can possibly tell me I'd appreciate it.

Sorry if this is something that that has an obvious answer too, I just want to be cautious and hopefully not mess anything up.

Solution
Is this a custom built PC or OEM pc (dell, hp, lenovo, etc)?

If custom built then you are just fine to move them to a new case. Things are very standardized for DIY parts.
If this is OEM however you may run into proprietary parts like connections from board to power button, connection from board to front usb/audio ports, unorthodox motherboard layout, or even a completely different plug design then the standard 24pin ATX for PSU to motherboard.

EVGA has some good PSUs and some blah ones. N1/W1/B1/G1 are all in the blah category, while B2/G2/G3/GQ are all very good.

Safe? It can be.

HDD and SSD are lower on the totem pole of worry. When moved I would leave out the HDD and only boot with the SSD. Make sure everything is fine and then attach the HDD, after powered down.

Motherboard and cooler should be moved horizontally, of course. Too much stress on the CPU otherwise.

The case cables that connect to the motherboard are usually arked. This is where problems can occur. Make sure you are 100% positive about where those go.

The PSU is a simple change.

Just make sure all cables are removed.

Many people have done this, including me. As long as you know exactly where everything is the move should be safe.

HamBown81

Commendable
Aug 3, 2017

If everything goes back the way it was you shouldn't have any issues. That being said, weird stuff happens sometimes when you unplug everything. Be very careful while you are doing it and be prepared to do some troubleshooting.

Taking lots of photos before and during disassembly is very useful for later reference.

Is this a custom built PC or OEM pc (dell, hp, lenovo, etc)?

If custom built then you are just fine to move them to a new case. Things are very standardized for DIY parts.
If this is OEM however you may run into proprietary parts like connections from board to power button, connection from board to front usb/audio ports, unorthodox motherboard layout, or even a completely different plug design then the standard 24pin ATX for PSU to motherboard.

EVGA has some good PSUs and some blah ones. N1/W1/B1/G1 are all in the blah category, while B2/G2/G3/GQ are all very good.

Solution

PhaseBeats

Reputable
Sep 29, 2014

Ah right, my pc is custom built so from what I'm gathering everything should be good, of course do things properly and just make sure things are the same as before. Thank you everyone for answering, I think I will definitely go through it whenever I decide to purchase a new chasis.