[SOLVED] Is it safe to OC my RAM on 4000mhz?

Nov 1, 2021
Hello! I have G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 3600MHZ CL16, and I would like to OC it up to 4000mhz because of my iGPU. I have R7 5700G and I'm currently on iGPU Vega 8 until this situation with GPUs pass.
My question is, is it safe to overclock it in BIOS to 4000MHz, and will that give me some more benefits on my iGPU? I'm currently only running XMP on my RAM (3600MHz CL16).
Also, which voltages should I set with 4000MHz? Thanks!

Solution
To overclock 3600 ram to 4000 might be possible as said but unlikely, depending a lot on chip quality. It's trial and error mostly, even if ic chips were high quality. Keeping within voltage limits, if it don't work, it'll crash. Won't damage anything short term, just chances of data corruption if persist in such failed endeavours. Buying a kit rated for 4000 would be ideal.

https://www.gskill.com/product/165/166/1536656906/F4-4000C17D-16GTZR

Obviously an adequate gpu would give better performance if can find a deal though if ram speed has you craving more performance, that extra 400MHz might not really do it for you. Price of 4000 ram (or add towards gpu) verses a gpu, might be more intriguing going a graphics card instead.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
To overclock 3600 ram to 4000 might be possible as said but unlikely, depending a lot on chip quality. It's trial and error mostly, even if ic chips were high quality. Keeping within voltage limits, if it don't work, it'll crash. Won't damage anything short term, just chances of data corruption if persist in such failed endeavours. Buying a kit rated for 4000 would be ideal.

Obviously an adequate gpu would give better performance if can find a deal though if ram speed has you craving more performance, that extra 400MHz might not really do it for you. Price of 4000 ram (or add towards gpu) verses a gpu, might be more intriguing going a graphics card instead.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Solution
Nov 1, 2021

Yeah, I'm actually trying not to spend any more money right now.. This kit was a sweetspot for a very reasonable price and I that's the only reason I bought it. I would rather save some money for 9-12 months, then get some decent GPU...
You are probably going to need 1.4v.
Is it safe to raise voltages to 1.4V on this RAM? I have MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK, I don't know if that matters..
If your ram chips were capable of 4000 speeds, it would be used in 4000 speed ram and sold for a higher price.
Yeah I was thinking about that too, but I saw some guys on Youtube raising clocks on their memories even over XMP values, so I was thinking that I could maybe get a little bit more MHz from my memory, rather than actually buying a better one..

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Try it. Probably will not work.
DDR4 safe voltages are up to 1.35V. Go higher and you risk damaging cpu memory controller.
Heres a list of DDR4 running at 1.5 volts, with XMP.
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#U=4&B=1500000000,2500000000
You think they would sell those if they killed CPUs left and right?
And here: https://github.com/integralfx/MemTestHelper/blob/oc-guide/DDR4 OC Guide.md#amd---am4
"SOC voltage is the voltage to the IMC and like with Intel, it's not recommended to leave it on auto. Typical ranges for this value range around 1.00V and 1.10V. Higher values are generally acceptable, and may be necessary in stabilizing higher capacity memory and may aid in attaining FCLK stability."
So not DRAM voltage.
On the Intel side, VCCSA and/or VCCIO is responsible for IMC voltage.

To OP:

1.5 volts is considered the daily usage safe voltage, other than on Samsung C-die, IIRC. But you don't have that, it comes with pretty poor timings.

Is it safe to raise voltages to 1.4V on this RAM? I have MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK, I don't know if that matters..
You can certainly try it. I've been running GSkill 3200 (FlareX) at 3600 using about 1.46V for over 2 years with no issues on one system, and a GSkill 2666 kit at 3000 on another at about 1.4V. Most often lost in the discussions: DDR4 spec requires memory to be capable of operating at 1.5V.

If it reports it to HWinfo64 watch temp of the DIMM's. Memory is like any other semiconductor: it is temp and current that does the long term damage. Voltage is just a knob you can turn to reduce current, therefore temperature, while keeping a target clock speed.

Not sure 4000 speed will help though. It's got to be good for the iGPU but if you have to de-link IF the added memory latency will probably do more harm for CPU performance.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
You can certainly try it. I've been running GSkill 3200 (FlareX) at 3600 using about 1.46V for over 2 years with no issues on one system, and a GSkill 2666 kit at 3000 on another at about 1.4V. Most often lost in the discussions: DDR4 spec requires memory to be capable of operating at 1.5V.

If it reports it to HWinfo64 watch temp of the DIMM's. Memory is like any other semiconductor: it is temp and current that does the long term damage. Voltage is just a knob you can turn to reduce current, therefore temperature, while keeping a target clock speed.

Not sure 4000 speed will help though. It's got to be good for the iGPU but if you have to de-link IF the added memory latency will probably do more harm for CPU performance.
From what I have read, the 5000-series APUs should be good up to 2200-2300 Fclock. So 4400-4600 Mhz RAM. They have a better memory controller. No need to decouple at 4000 Mhz.