[SOLVED] Is it safe to open Port 80?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Hi, I have been using my Windows PC to connect to a server installed on Raspberry Pi via a browser for over a year without problem. However, after I installed a game demo program from Steam, I can no longer do it. I recall that during setup of the demo program, a window showed up asking for some kind of permission related to firewall. I hit escape and uninstalled the demo program. Since then, I cannot connect the server from my PC via a browser. Somebody mentioned that perhaps the demo program modified some firewall settings related to port 80 without my consent. To fix the problem,

is it safe to open port 80 using the method described below? Will doing so make my system less secure against hacking?

Configure a Firewall for Report Server Access - SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) | Microsoft Docs

Solution
Opening port 80 (incoming connections) on your pc has nothing to do with ability to connect to some server on the network.

Why are you referencing to a link about Microsoft SQL Reporting services ?
Do you have Microsoft SQL server installed on your system?
MS SQL Server can't be installed on your Raspberry Pi either. So - what's the connection here?

You open port 80 on your pc only, if you're hosting web server on your pc ( for example Internet Information Services enabled) and you want other people to connect to web server on your pc.
Opening port 80 (incoming connections) on your pc has nothing to do with ability to connect to some server on the network.

Why are you referencing to a link about Microsoft SQL Reporting services ?
Do you have Microsoft SQL server installed on your system?
MS SQL Server can't be installed on your Raspberry Pi either. So - what's the connection here?

You open port 80 on your pc only, if you're hosting web server on your pc ( for example Internet Information Services enabled) and you want other people to connect to web server on your pc.

Last edited:
Solution

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
My current problem is not related to SQL as far as I concern. I just found that link which shows how to open a port. Sorry for possible confusion.

I have Octopi installed on a Raspberry Pi. In the past, I just typed <hostname>.local or "http://octopi.local" in my web browser to access it (my PC is connected to the same network as the Raspberry Pi). However, after installing-uninstalling that demo game from steam on my PC, I cannot do it anymore. I can still access Octopi from my Mac via a browser. Just the PC I mentioned has problem in accessing. Somebody mentioned that Octipi uses the standard port 80 and if the game demo program modified the firewall settings during installation, nothing would work. So I am trying to fix this issue.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS