Is it safe to overclock a gtx 1070 founders edition?

roudy-s

Reputable
Jan 21, 2017
Simple as this is it safe to overclock a gtx 1070 founders edition or no and by how much i can if it is safe and will i see any benefits in fps in games?

Solution
By undervolting the GPU you're looking to maintain the stock clock speeds at a lower voltage.

To do that first of all you need to activate the OSD in afterburner and set it to show in the overlay your GPU core frequency, GPU core voltage and temperature.

Run a benchmark like Unigine Valley and get the average core frequency also look at the voltage(should be around 1.03 - 1.06V).

To start fiddling with voltages enable the core voltage setting in MSI afterburner and press ctrl+f while on the main AB screen. A graph with multiple points should appear that correlates different voltages for different core frequncies.

Now you need to choose the voltage you want to run that GPU at the average core frequency you had during the...

Cioby

Distinguished
I seem to recall 1070 and 1080 not OC by much which is why non-reference cards weren't that different.
To answer your questions, yes you can, just go slow, like 50 Mh on both, increase slightly by +50 on memory. The benefits will be below 10% probably.
The damage to your card is almost negligible, unless you run into heating issues, otherwise you can easily use your card for 5 years without it dying. Tho you're likely to just upgrade in that time

Quick answer is yes. Please watch and follow a YouTube video about OC'ing. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=overclock+1070+founders+edition Youtube has plenty of those. Generally speaking you can bump up the core and memory clock by 25MHz per OC. You then test it with something like FIrestrike or Superposition by Unigine and finally get to gaming and you can see if your FPS has increased which is not a guarantee. MSI AB is a good utility for OC'ing and monitoring your system's behavior during your session.

Yes it is, but you need to keep the GPU under 90C. FE cards will run at 80C+ usually when overclocked.

With MSI afterburner crank the power limit(120% should be the max) and temp limit to max and start increasing the core clock and memory clock.

You can do 25 MHz increases for the core clock and 50 MHz for the memory at a time and run Valley benchmark or Superposition for 20-30 minutes after.

Also try going for a more aggresive fan curve to keep the temps in check.
Really high temps (90C+)/artifacts/black screens/benchmark crashes will indicate that you need to step down your OC.

STAY AWAY FROM THE VOLTAGE SLIDER!!!! The card's voltage can be raised in millivolt increments but for the uninitiated that aren't aware of that they can seriously break their card. Why is the slider there if it will break my PC!!!? Because sometimes a little extra voltage can make an unstable OC stable.The basic overclocking is normally done with the core and memory clocks but the advanced user can squeeze out a little more. Go ahead and have fun with the clocks because the worst that will happen is your PC will freeze or shutdown or you'll see artifacts(trim the OC back in 10MHz incrememts until those artifacts go away because they are a clear indication of a unstable OC) but those OC's won't break your PC. You can just get back on the horse and try again. Not so with the voltage.

My roommate and I(not in real life) have the same card but he can OC his card higher than mine. Note: The same card means they are both NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition 8GB GDDR5. Not all silicon is created equal nor will identical cards have the same limit. As was mentioned above heat is a major concern which is why it's important to monitor the card's temp. That has many reasons behind it including the aforementioned thermal wall which if breached will cause a thermal shutdown. In other words your PC knows it has a fever and won't effectively commit suicide from overheating so it shuts down the PC. There is also a feature called Nvidia GPU Boost. Its thermal wall is at 56c. It will not shut your PC down but it will stop OC'ing your card and then start downclocking in 13MHz increments but it won't underclock below the stock settings. The cooler your card is the easier GPU Boost can do its thing.Blower type cards like yours typically run at least 10c hotter than dual or triple fan designs which for the OC'er isn't a good thing so we look elsewhere. GPU Boost has lessened the amount of OC the end user can do because it does it for him which means the end user doesn't have such a big OC window anymore.

STAY AWAY FROM THE VOLTAGE SLIDER!!!!

I won't fully agree with this statement.
A little bit of research is needed when playing with voltages... sure.

Voltage control has it's benefits.
My 1070 has an average core frequency when gaming of 1924 MHz. By undervolting the card I managed to get it stable from the default 1.060V to 0.881V keeping a constant core frequency of 1911 MHz. That also brought my GPU temps 9C lower while maintaining the same performance.... that's a huge difference thermal and noise wise.

Undervolting it's quite beneficial especially for the FE cards where load temps are much higher.

I understand that but I feel its a good idea to be fairly blunt with the total novice. What would the novice do? Probably find that voltage slider and eventually they will get curious and learn how to use that correctly. For now I think it's a good idea to not mess with it at all until they have more experience. I guess I should have qualified that.

And you are the advanced user that understands OC'ing more than a novice. Pretty impressive though. And a 13MHz inconsequential coincidence.

By undervolting the GPU you're looking to maintain the stock clock speeds at a lower voltage.

To do that first of all you need to activate the OSD in afterburner and set it to show in the overlay your GPU core frequency, GPU core voltage and temperature.

Run a benchmark like Unigine Valley and get the average core frequency also look at the voltage(should be around 1.03 - 1.06V).

To start fiddling with voltages enable the core voltage setting in MSI afterburner and press ctrl+f while on the main AB screen. A graph with multiple points should appear that correlates different voltages for different core frequncies.

Now you need to choose the voltage you want to run that GPU at the average core frequency you had during the benchmark(at stock clocks you should be able to run the card ~0.900V or even lower if you're lucky with the chip).

Let's say your 1070ti stays at a 1900 MHz avg core frequency in benchmarks and you want to run with this frequency at 0.900V from the stock 1.06V. Click on the point in the graph that is at the 0.900V... the frequency asigned for that voltage will be much lower(around 1700 MHz).

To get the GPU to run at 0.9V at 1900 Mhz you'll need to raise the Core frequency until the point on the graph that represents 0.9V gets up to the desired 1900 MHz.
After doing that you'll also need to lower every point that has a greater voltage value than 0.9V(e. g. 0.906V) to the 1900 MHz frequency so your GPU will max at the desired 0.9V and 1900MHz.

If the GPU is not stable at that voltage(black screens or resets to the stock voltage in benchmarks) you'll need to do the same thing as earlier but with the next point that's at a higher voltage.

When you're getting the GPU stable at a lower voltage than stock you should see lower temperatures with similar performance as before.

The undervolting process is a bit more complicated than overvolting.

If you want to overclock the card look again at the guides posted above.

Solution

roudy-s

Reputable
Jan 21, 2017
Thank you really and i really appreciate yoir help everyone you are giving me all the information that i need but one thing my man if i set lets say the 0.900v at 1900mhz and click apply the curve should adjust itself after it or i should manualy get every point to what it should be? And should i make at this volt a curve or only 1 point slide it up?

Look at this picture: https://www.google.ro/search?q=msi+afterburner+undervolt&client=ms-android-huawei-rev1&prmd=ivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiYgcvthv_eAhXPVN8KHbhOC10Q_AUoAXoECA0QAQ&biw=360&bih=600#imgrc=5Eg1mKvYSPoz8M&imgdii=IVd3ngh4C-5UXM

This guy wanted to set his 1080ti at ~1830 MHz @ 0.875V. He increased the core frequency until the 0.875V point on the graph got up to the desired 1830 MHz .... after that as you can see he set the higher voltage points at the same 1830 MHz value.... that's what you should do with the voltage points greater than 0.9V in your case. You leave the points below 0.9V unchanged and bring the ones greater than 0.9V to the same frequency value.

So before moving any point on that graph, first increase the core frequency until the desired voltage point gets to the desired core frequency... when you do that the wholr graph will move up. After that you just bring every point past that voltage to the same frequency value like in that screenshot.

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from roudy-s : "Is it safe to overclock the gtx 1070?"