Question Is it safe to "overclock" my monitor to 75hz if it is mentioned in the monitor specs?

speedchampion2004

Prominent
Aug 27, 2018
I recently got the LG 29WL500B and it says that it is a 75hz panel on the LG website and on bestbuy. By default, it is set to 60hz and when I change it to 75hz, it shows a warning saying that it isn't the optimal settings and tells me to switch back to 60hz. I ignored the message. Is this safe?

mangaman

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015
You can also go into Control Panel -> Appearance and Personalization -> Adjust resolution. Click on your monitor and click on Advanced settings.

In the advanced settings, go to the monitor tab and under Monitor settings should be a list of refresh rates. Make sure the "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" is ticked. Then under screen refresh rate, choose your refresh rate.

My 8 year old monitor can safely do 60 or 75Hz without any issues, but I can barely notice the difference between the two. I'm sure the LG can safely do 75Hz without issues.

speedchampion2004

Prominent
Aug 27, 2018
You can also go into Control Panel -> Appearance and Personalization -> Adjust resolution. Click on your monitor and click on Advanced settings.

In the advanced settings, go to the monitor tab and under Monitor settings should be a list of refresh rates. Make sure the "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" is ticked. Then under screen refresh rate, choose your refresh rate.

My 8 year old monitor can safely do 60 or 75Hz without any issues, but I can barely notice the difference between the two. I'm sure the LG can safely do 75Hz without issues.
I have set it to 75hz. But my issue is that Im not sure if it reduces the lifespan of it.

mangaman

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015
It'll reduce the life span, but only by a very small amount. You probably won't even notice. If you can see the refresh rate in the control panel or your LG monitor control panel, then you'll be fine.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS