Question Is it safe to "overclock" my monitor to 75hz if it is mentioned in the monitor specs?

speedchampion2004

Commendable
Aug 27, 2018
I recently got the LG 29WL500B and it says that it is a 75hz panel on the LG website and on bestbuy. By default, it is set to 60hz and when I change it to 75hz, it shows a warning saying that it isn't the optimal settings and tells me to switch back to 60hz. I ignored the message. Is this safe?

mangaman

Honorable
You can also go into Control Panel -> Appearance and Personalization -> Adjust resolution. Click on your monitor and click on Advanced settings.

In the advanced settings, go to the monitor tab and under Monitor settings should be a list of refresh rates. Make sure the "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" is ticked. Then under screen refresh rate, choose your refresh rate.

My 8 year old monitor can safely do 60 or 75Hz without any issues, but I can barely notice the difference between the two. I'm sure the LG can safely do 75Hz without issues.

speedchampion2004

Commendable
Aug 27, 2018
You can also go into Control Panel -> Appearance and Personalization -> Adjust resolution. Click on your monitor and click on Advanced settings.

In the advanced settings, go to the monitor tab and under Monitor settings should be a list of refresh rates. Make sure the "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" is ticked. Then under screen refresh rate, choose your refresh rate.

My 8 year old monitor can safely do 60 or 75Hz without any issues, but I can barely notice the difference between the two. I'm sure the LG can safely do 75Hz without issues.
I have set it to 75hz. But my issue is that Im not sure if it reduces the lifespan of it.