[SOLVED] Is it safe to overclock my monitor? !

bboy.hh

Commendable
Mar 15, 2018
Hey all ,im not sure whag exactly is my monitor's name , but as far as i know its sharp tv 60hz , people saying sometimes its.not safe and.some people say its ok , if i want to overclock my monitor i would go for 75hz or 80 not above , the question is , is it safe? Lets say 50% safe?
Thanks for advance
Specs: gtx 970 oc
I7 6700k
24gb ram

Solution
Hey there,

Actually it's pretty straight forward, and relatively easy to do. Like OC'ing any component you need to test.

In the nvidia control panel, choose to make a custom resolution. Leave everything as it is at default, but change the hertz to 75. You don't want to go over the top (50% is most likely not doable). So start with 75hz.

Test and the apply the new settings.

You then need to test properly for skipped frames, which you can do here: https://www.testufo.com/

Follow the instructions exactly. Specially the part about the camera you use to take a screen shot, of UFO running whilst in 75hz. If the picture you take has funny breaks in it then it's dropping frames. If there are no skipped frames, then your monitor...
Hey there,

Actually it's pretty straight forward, and relatively easy to do. Like OC'ing any component you need to test.

In the nvidia control panel, choose to make a custom resolution. Leave everything as it is at default, but change the hertz to 75. You don't want to go over the top (50% is most likely not doable). So start with 75hz.

You then need to test properly for skipped frames, which you can do here: https://www.testufo.com/

Follow the instructions exactly. Specially the part about the camera you use to take a screen shot, of UFO running whilst in 75hz. If the picture you take has funny breaks in it then it's dropping frames. If there are no skipped frames, then your monitor will take the OC to 75hz. You can try push the hz beyond that, but most 60hz panels won't to much more than that.

With, that said, it 'can' decrease the lifespan of the monitor. So if the monitor was expected to be fine for 5 years, you might get 4 years out of the OC.

I've a 60hz monitor OC to 75hz for the last 3 years. It's Ben Q. Not a single issue with it.

Solution

bboy.hh

Commendable
Mar 15, 2018
Hey there,

Follow the instructions exactly. Specially the part about the camera you use to take a screen shot, of UFO running whilst in 75hz. If the picture you take has funny breaks in it then it's dropping frames. If there are no skipped frames, then your monitor will take the OC to 75hz. You can try push the hz beyond that, but most 60hz panels won't to much more than that.

With, that said, it 'can' decrease the lifespan of the monitor. So if the monitor was expected to be fine for 5 years, you might get 4 years out of the OC.

I've a 60hz monitor OC to 75hz for the last 3 years. It's Ben Q. Not a single issue with it.
Thank you for replying , so its kinda ok right? I mean 60hz and 75hz a difference? When it comes to gaming ? Is it worth it? Even a little bit

bboy.hh

Commendable
Mar 15, 2018
Hey there,

i tried it , but there is breaks in every frame on 75 hz , so i dont think it worth , i can go 70 i guess

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
i tried it , but there is breaks in every frame on 75 hz , so i dont think it worth , i can go 70 i guess

Hey,

Sorry for the late response. Ah, that's a pity. Yes, you can try for 70. Some monitors don't OC as well as others.

It's definitely all right to do it. As long as the monitor allows you :)

Between 60hz and 75 hz, there is certainly a difference. It's more pronounced with higher hz.