Question Is it safe to overclock my RAM to 3200 mhz at 1.36v?

Jan 13, 2023
So quick info in regards on my PC to provide more information and possibly get great answers.

I have a MSI A320M pro-vh motherboard with an AMD Ryzen 5 3400g with Radeon Vega Graphics.

Recently I bought 2x8gb sticks of ram that is labeled to have frequencies or speed of 3200mhz. I have seen in the AMD details info for my cpu that it only supports 2933mhz, will it be safe if I overclock it to 3200mhz with 1.36v (the suggested was 1.35v but i experienced some stability issue with just 1.35)??

Like will it not cause any long term damage or any errors??

Hoping for some great answers. Thank you.

~Sincerely, Yumekinara

So quick info in regards on my PC to provide more information and possibly get great answers.

I have a MSI A320M pro-vh motherboard with an AMD Ryzen 5 3400g with Radeon Vega Graphics.

Recently I bought 2x8gb sticks of ram that is labeled to have frequencies or speed of 3200mhz. I have seen in the AMD details info for my cpu that it only supports 2933mhz, will it be safe if I overclock it to 3200mhz with 1.36v (the suggested was 1.35v but i experienced some stability issue with just 1.35)??

Like will it not cause any long term damage or any errors??

Hoping for some great answers. Thank you.

~Sincerely, Yumekinara
It's safe enough. DDR. 4 is good for1.6v+
2933MHz is just a guaranteed frequency of IMC in that processor bu t can be coaxed to run much higher.
Only problem I could see is MB as 300 chipset series have a problem with memory bus architecture which can limit signal from RAM to CPU and back. It would be ideal if just engaging XMP works even if you have to ad some voltage.

Jan 13, 2023
It's safe enough. DDR. 4 is good for1.6v+
2933MHz is just a guaranteed frequency of IMC in that processor bu t can be coaxed to run much higher.
Only problem I could see is MB as 300 chipset series have a problem with memory bus architecture which can limit signal from RAM to CPU and back. It would be ideal if just engaging XMP works even if you have to ad some voltage.

The timings and the frequency are similar to the xmp which would be 16 20 20 20 40 but i upped the volts to 1.36 instead of 1.35, guess that will be fine and ideal?? Should i run a memtest to be sure??

zx128k

Reputable
Don't put 1.6 volts into your RAM if you value keeping them for some time. Only some kit will do 1.6 volts and then only on the correct CPU's.

Daily use of VDIMM voltages above 1.60 V on Ryzen 3000 and 5000 and 1.65 V on Intel Consumer Lake-series Processors is not advisable as CPU degradation of the PHY is difficult to measure or notice until the issue becomes serious.

Here is a list of common ICs and commonly used voltages for them:

IC​
Daily Voltage (V)​
Extreme Voltage (V)​
H8D, H16A, M8E, M16B, S4D, S4E, S8B​
Above 1.55​
H4A, H8A, H8C1 , H16C, N8B​
Up to 1.45​
Above 1.45​
S8C​
Up to 1.35​
N/A2​

• The voltages marked as Daily Voltage are voltages that are known to be safe for the corresponding IC, provided temperatures are kept in check.
  • The voltages marked as Extreme Voltage will likely not degrade but should be used cautiously. A RAM fan is recommended for these voltages.
  • 1Above 1.45 V has been reported to degrade on H8C. Use with caution.
  • 2S8C is known to scale negatively with voltage. It's recommended to stay at or below the maximum daily voltage.
Be sure to stay to the safe limits of your hardware. I am at 1.475 volts on my B-die which is S8B. My stock is 1.45 volts. 1.6 volts is considered extreme. Remember kits that use 1.6volts do support all CPUs.

At 1.5 volts and tightened timings my kit can become unstable even with a fan on and off. The lower timings with 1.475 volts give the same performance and don't randomly become unstable. If its the CPU or RAM I don't know. Multi-meter temps are safe on the RAM DIMMs 20-30c. There is no need for lots of voltage. The top RAM kits have far better cooling as well.

Reactions: david slayer

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Intel XMP Extreme voltage limits are 1.5v for DDR4, and they highly recommend staying at 1.4v or lower for Daily use. So unless you are planning on OC to extreme world record breaking attempts using Liquid Nitrogen (LN2) or similar cooling, stay out of the 1.4v+ range. Anything 1.39v and lower is perfectly safe for daily use. There are exceptions, as in Darkbreeze's ram, but those are rare, standard XMP voltage is 1.35v.

XMP, DOCP, AOCP, EOCP etc are generic settings of OC applied to every stick of ram with higher than memory controller default speeds. Being generic, it a one-size-fits-all approach, but that doesn't always work, some memory controllers in some cpus on some motherboards just don't feel that the standard XMP setting of 1.35v is enough, and might require 1.36v or even 1.38v, especially when using 4x sticks.

So using 1.36v if 1.35v is unstable is a perfectly normal thing to do. Your cpu on that motherboard might just need that extra push, over and above what someone else's pc might use.

Don't put 1.6 volts into your RAM if you value keeping them for some time. Only some kit will do 1.6 volts and then only on the correct CPU's.

Daily use of VDIMM voltages above 1.60 V on Ryzen 3000 and 5000 and 1.65 V on Intel Consumer Lake-series Processors is not advisable as CPU degradation of the PHY is difficult to measure or notice until the issue becomes serious.

Here is a list of common ICs and commonly used voltages for them:

IC​
Daily Voltage (V)​
Extreme Voltage (V)​
H8D, H16A, M8E, M16B, S4D, S4E, S8B​
Above 1.55​
H4A, H8A, H8C1 , H16C, N8B​
Up to 1.45​
Above 1.45​
S8C​
Up to 1.35​
N/A2​

• The voltages marked as Daily Voltage are voltages that are known to be safe for the corresponding IC, provided temperatures are kept in check.
  • The voltages marked as Extreme Voltage will likely not degrade but should be used cautiously. A RAM fan is recommended for these voltages.
  • 1Above 1.45 V has been reported to degrade on H8C. Use with caution.
  • 2S8C is known to scale negatively with voltage. It's recommended to stay at or below the maximum daily voltage.
Be sure to stay to the safe limits of your hardware. I am at 1.475 volts on my B-die which is S8B. My stock is 1.45 volts. 1.6 volts is considered extreme. Remember kits that use 1.6volts do support all CPUs.

At 1.5 volts and tightened timings my kit can become unstable even with a fan on and off. The lower timings with 1.475 volts give the same performance and don't randomly become unstable. If its the CPU or RAM I don't know. Multi-meter temps are safe on the RAM DIMMs 20-30c. There is no need for lots of voltage. The top RAM kits have far better cooling as well.
All he set it is at 1.36v which is perfectly safe as it's only 0.01v more than suggested. No need to muddy the matter.