[SOLVED] Is it safe to plug a dvi monitor into my motherboard without intergrated graphics?

Aug 14, 2020
Okay so I have a MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Ventus XS 6G OC which has 3x DisplayPort, 1x HDMI. My main monitor uses DisplayPort so that's not a problem but my older second monitor uses DVI.

My motherboard does have a DVI port, but my CPU doesn't have intergrated graphics as far as I know, can I still plug it in or?

Specs afaik:
Motherboard: Gigabyte 78lmt-usb3 r2
Power supply: Cooler Master GM G550M
Processor: AMD FX-8350
Graphics card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Ventus XS 6G OC
RAM: 12GB ddr3, 3x4GB (i have no idea what brand/model)
Storage: 500GB ssd and 1TB hdd

Thanks for all the tips in advance <3

Reactions: EridanusSV
Solution
Actually, this is one of those cheapo AM3 holdover motherboards that were retrofit to run AM3+ CPUs and it actually has motherboard-integrated graphics (Radeon HD 3000). Now, pretty awful graphics, but the integrated graphics do exist. It's easy forget there are still a few of these in the wild because integrated graphics have been CPU or bust since then.

The bad news, of course, is that a cheapo AM3 holdover motherboard is not something you want to be running a 125W CPU on and the GPU will in most cases yield little benefit over a GPU $100 cheaper.

You can also get an HDMI to DVI adapter. Since it's a digital to digital process, it's not a giant headache.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Actually, this is one of those cheapo AM3 holdover motherboards that were retrofit to run AM3+ CPUs and it actually has motherboard-integrated graphics (Radeon HD 3000). Now, pretty awful graphics, but the integrated graphics do exist. It's easy forget there are still a few of these in the wild because integrated graphics have been CPU or bust since then.

The bad news, of course, is that a cheapo AM3 holdover motherboard is not something you want to be running a 125W CPU on and the GPU will in most cases yield little benefit over a GPU $100 cheaper.

You can also get an HDMI to DVI adapter. Since it's a digital to digital process, it's not a giant headache.

Reactions: Glenwing
Solution