[SOLVED] Is it safe to power Sapphire R9 270X Dual-X OC 2GB (2*6pin) with Thermaltake Munich 430W (1*6+2pin) using an adapter for the power cables?

Jun 3, 2021
The CPU of the build is a i3-2120 (TDP is 65W).
If I power that GPU (recommended PSU is 500W) with that PSU will anything get damaged in some way? (I read that the Thermaltake Munich 430W has over current protection, what does that mean?)
The adapter options I'm thinking of are:
  1. Using a 8pin to 2*6pin PCI-E splitter cable to connect to the 6+2pin pci cable of the PSU;
  2. Using a Molex to 6pin PCI-E cable to connect to the Molex cable of the PSU (to have a second 6pin PCI-E).
Is the second option safer because less current will pass through the 6+2pin PCI-E cable of the PSU?
For more information:
If you need more information, feel free to ask.
Thank you for your attention.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/915tS1+2MpL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Solution
About 400W 12V output. If it were a higher quality unit and new, maybe. A new power supply is a good idea.

I would trust the 8-pin to dual 6-pin adapter more than a molex, but still, that is running 4-wires worth of power down 3 wires.

Dual 4-pin to 6-pin is basically running 2 wires worth of power down 1 wire (worst case)

SATA power should never be adapted from.

Overcurrent protection will shut the PSU off when it exceeds 60A on the 12V rail (according to thermaltake), almost double the rating of the power supply. If any one wire was pulling that much it would catch fire, so not exactly super safe.

They don't list the wire gauge size, so I can't say that there is enough overhead on the 8-pin to manage it, but by the specs it...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
About 400W 12V output. If it were a higher quality unit and new, maybe. A new power supply is a good idea.

I would trust the 8-pin to dual 6-pin adapter more than a molex, but still, that is running 4-wires worth of power down 3 wires.

Dual 4-pin to 6-pin is basically running 2 wires worth of power down 1 wire (worst case)

SATA power should never be adapted from.

Overcurrent protection will shut the PSU off when it exceeds 60A on the 12V rail (according to thermaltake), almost double the rating of the power supply. If any one wire was pulling that much it would catch fire, so not exactly super safe.

They don't list the wire gauge size, so I can't say that there is enough overhead on the 8-pin to manage it, but by the specs it should. It would then come down to the quality of the adapter. The reason they are risky is they are often made cheaply and poorly.

Solution