[SOLVED] Is it safe to raise my mother board

Nick Turner

Honorable
Apr 22, 2015
Hi,

I want to see if it's possible to use pegs to raise my motherboard to fit my SSD M2 under my board. I would like to keep the heatsink on it. Is it safe to raise it with stand off pegs?

See attached photo, i put the drive next to the board to show height difference

System
ThermalTake Level 20 VT
ASUS RogStrix x570-i
Processor: Ryzen 5950

IMG_1076 by nick5454, on Flickr

Thanks,
Nick

Last edited:
Solution
Hi,

I want to see if it's possible to use pegs to raise my motherboard to fit my SSD M2 under my board. I would like to keep the heatsink on it. Is it safe to raise it with stand off pegs?

System
ThermalTake Level 20 VT
ASUS RogStrix x570-i

Thanks,
Nick
It's safe to raise it but....as a general rule with any circuit board....

If you are replacing a conductive standoff with a longer one...the longer one should also be conductive.
If you are replacing a non-conductive one with a longer one....it should also be non-conductive.
Sometimes....standoffs are specifically designed as grounds.
Sometimes they are specifically meant to...
Hi,

System
ThermalTake Level 20 VT
ASUS RogStrix x570-i

Thanks,
Nick
It's safe to raise it but....as a general rule with any circuit board....

If you are replacing a conductive standoff with a longer one...the longer one should also be conductive.
If you are replacing a non-conductive one with a longer one....it should also be non-conductive.
Sometimes....standoffs are specifically designed as grounds.
Sometimes they are specifically meant to be isolated.

Solution
Heat sink on or off probably won't matter as being trapped under the motherboard as it is there won't be any airflow to cool it off. What I'd do is take the heatsink off and put a stack of thermal pads on top of the M.2 such that when you screw down the motherboard the thermal pads make a path for heat to flow to the motherboard tray. That would probably work a lot better for cooling, and no chance of anything going wrong with the misalignment of the PCie slots and I/O ports where it fits to the rear of the case.

TRENDING THREADS