[SOLVED] Is it safe to run a GPU with no power connectors on 300W PSU.

Jul 18, 2019
Ok so I have an HP Office Computer
I upgraded the CPU from I3 2100 to i5 2500k(95w).The PSU has 216w total and It is written It shall no exceed 300W.I am planning to put a R7 250 1GB GDDR5 with no power connectors it gets all power from the PCI-E slot.My question is:Will this PSU hold the system or I need a more powerful PSU.

Solution
If the motherboard has a 24 pin power connector (and I'm pretty sure it does), then you can add a standard power supply. It's still kinda dangerous to run a graohics card with that psu and you're lucky you can change that unit in an HP computer. Get a quality unit (like Seasonic Focus+ or Corsair TX/RM series) or if the budget is tight, then don't go lower than a S12ii or CX (gray units, avoid green).

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
If it was a good quality 300W PSU, you MAY be fine, but generally it's recommended to run that GPU with a good 350W. It should draw minimal power, but I'd question the quality of an office based 300W PSU, the output may not be adequate enough for a dedicated gaming GPU.

Reactions: gn842a

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
Safe! so long as the card does not need any extra power your safe. if the card does need power that PSU will need to be changed first. for the card chosen you should be fine, I cannot speak to the age of the PSU but the numbers work.
full power to the slot and full size card ready.
for info running on 300W

sdedu77

Respectable
Dec 9, 2018
If the motherboard has a 24 pin power connector (and I'm pretty sure it does), then you can add a standard power supply. It's still kinda dangerous to run a graohics card with that psu and you're lucky you can change that unit in an HP computer. Get a quality unit (like Seasonic Focus+ or Corsair TX/RM series) or if the budget is tight, then don't go lower than a S12ii or CX (gray units, avoid green).

Solution