Question Is it safe to run different ram dimms with same latency and frequency but different timings?

Feb 8, 2021
I own a prebuilt Acer pc and one of the two ram sticks died. I tried swapping slots between them but the pc doesn't recognise one of them so i want to replace it with a new one but i cannot find the exact same stick anywhere. I currently have a Hynix 4GB DDR3 PC3-12800 1600 MHZ CL11 stick. My ram timings are 11-11-28. Closest thing i could find is Exceleram 8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 1600 MHZ CL11 stick but the timings are a little bit different. The stick i plan to buy has 11-11-27 timings. Will they work together or i have to throw away my 4GB stick ?

Also... my BIOS is verry "basic"... i barely have any settings. I can only change boot order, date and time, i can see system temps and pretty much that's it, i can't find anything RAM related in my bios. My motherboard is Acer TC-710.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The answer I'd parse would be no, you're advised to make sure that all sticks of ram used are identical(if buying them on different times) or to buy as a kit(out the box, they're matched).

Version of your BIOS? You should look into the board having any possible BIOS updates. Since you have two ram slots, I'd advise on buying a dual channel ram kit. Model for the processor you're using on the prebuilt platform?

Feb 8, 2021
My CPU is Intel i5 6400. This is my system information:
4Grua5M.png

There is only one 8GB ram stick and its closest i can find to the stick i have currently installed in my pc. I cannot find exact ram stick since they are not imported in my country and i really don't want to wait a few weeks for one to arrive from alliexpress. Will they cause problems if they have diffrent timings? I know they won't run in dual channel but i don't think will matter that much since i only use this pc for internet browsing and a few games.

EDIT: Found another ram stick with exact same voltage, frequency, latency and timings. They are from different brand but i have no choice but to try them.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS