[SOLVED] Is it safe to run faster memory than the CPU's controller is designed for?

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012
In other words, If I buy a CPU that Intel rates as having a memory type of DDR4-2666 and I instead put in DDR4-3200 or faster, letting the XMP set it at the RAM's full SPD, is that hard on the memory controller? If not, why isn't Intel's rating higher?

Solution
In other words, If I buy a CPU that Intel rates as having a memory type of DDR4-2666 and I instead put in DDR4-3200 or faster, letting the XMP set it at the RAM's full SPD, is that hard on the memory controller? If not, why isn't Intel's rating higher?
It is safe, just insure that you buy memory that is on the motherboard support site QVL. The memory is overclocked by the motherboard in the modern era unlike back in the day.

RealBeast

Titan
It is safe, just insure that you buy memory that is on the motherboard support site QVL. The memory is overclocked by the motherboard in the modern era unlike back in the day.

Solution
One thing you could look into, which I personally like to do when using fast RAM, is to manually lower IO and SA voltage. I've had two different Z390 motherboards with my 9900K CPU and 3600MHz RAM, and both motherboards set an unneccessarily high IO and SA voltage. Not dangerously high or anything (1.3 -1.35-ish volt), but my CPU and RAM runs fine with a lower 1.10V IO and 1.15V SA voltage - and anytime I can lower voltages slightly, I prefer to do so - as an added benfit, it did shave off a couple of degrees 'C from CPU max temp.

I know you are looking into 10th Gen, and mine is a 9th Gen, so they might not behave the same. But it is something you could consider looking into, although not really neccessary