Question Is it safe to start over with HDD scan and repair?

Jun 2, 2023
I started HDD scan and repair on my old hard drive, it started out normally and suddenly slowed down. It only scans about 3500 sectors per minute and it went up by 3% in the last 30hours. Should I restart it?

Jun 2, 2023
Let it run another day to be sure, but looks like your HDD is somehow faulty. Could be that data might be gone anyways, so restarting would most likely safe for the rest of the data.
Thank you, I will leave it be for now, it does not have many bad sectors(69 until now).

Misgar

Notable
Mar 2, 2023
When any of my hard disks report even one bad sector, I know it's time to copy all the data to a new drive and stop using the old drive. More bad sectors will appear.

You can allow Windows (or other OS) to "map out" the bad sectors but I'd be very worried if the count was "only 69", part way through a surface scan.

Scanning a healthy drive should complete in a few hours, depending on the test. If it's only 3% of the way through after 30 hours, back up the data and bin the drive.

I use Hard Disk Sentinel's read-only test on suspect drives. It can take 12 hours on a healthy 8TB hard disk, but when clusters of bad sectors are found, there's no point wasting more time on a fruitless quest.

Reactions: dudo1407
Jun 2, 2023
When any of my hard disks report even one bad sector, I know it's time to copy all the data to a new drive and stop using the old drive. More bad sectors will appear.

You can allow Windows (or other OS) to "map out" the bad sectors but I'd be very worried if the count was "only 69", part way through a surface scan.

Scanning a healthy drive should complete in a few hours, depending on the test. If it's only 3% of the way through after 30 hours, back up the data and bin the drive.

I use Hard Disk Sentinel's read-only test on suspect drives. It can take 12 hours on a healthy 8TB hard disk, but when clusters of bad sectors are found, there's no point wasting more time on a fruitless quest.

Thank you, I will do that.

Misgar

Notable
Mar 2, 2023
If you don't have backups of some/all the files on the faulty drive, attempt to copy important data to other media (external USB drive, the Cloud, or another internal drive) IMMEDIATELY.

You might be able to recover some/all of the files, but some may now be irretrievable if they're on bad sectors. The more destructive "repairs" you perform, the lower your chances of recovering precious files. Good luck.

TRENDING THREADS