Question Is It Safe to Stop Fans Completely?

Crag_Hack

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2015
Hi I have a simple question... recently I stopped using Gigabyte SIV for fan control and switched to Argus Monitor. Here it says
Except for a few PWM-controlled fans, there is a 'forbidden' range for all fans in which they cannot be controlled safely.
Is it referring to the inability of fans to cool adequately at lower speeds or is there some other property being described? Also I think it says to resume a fan from a complete stop you need to run it at a certain high speed temporarily. I am interpreting this correctly? Is it safe to stop a fan completely? Is there anything else to know about these things? Thanks!

Crag_Hack

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2015
I'd like to fully stop my fans temporarily to see which is which in Argus Monitor. I'm just a little squeamish after reading about the forbidden zone in which fans cannot be operated safely.... I assume Argus Monitor can safely temporarily stop the fans right? No danger there? The page I linked to in the first post makes it sound like so in the section
Configuration of individual values for fan start from standstill
Just making sure... thanks.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
It does not harm a fan for you to stop it for a few seconds. By that I mean use a pencil or something similar and use the eraser end to run against the spinning fan blades gently to stop it for a few seconds, then release it. This is handy for testing things.

What that caution is about is that if you send the fan a signal to run too slow it will stall, which has two results. The obvious: no cooling from a stalled fan. Less obvious: the fan still has a small current running though its windings and generating a little heat, but it cannot cool itself. The way to re-start it is to supply a signal to run quite a bit faster. On older 3-pin fans, the "signal" is just the VOLTAGE supplied from Pin #2 of the header - reducing that voltage is how that fan type's speed can be slowed. Most fans of that type will stall if Voltage falls below 5 V. On new 4-pin PWM fans the Voltage supply is constant, but the PWM signal from Pin #4 tells the fan what speed to run. That, too, can be set too low and cause a fan to stall, although that may happen at a lower minimum speed than with an older3-pin fan. Again, the fix is to send it a higher-speed PWM signal.

On virtually all mobo fan headers when you allow it to use an automatic fan speed control mode it also monitors the actual speed of the fan. IF there is NO speed signal (or in a few mobos, if the speed falls below a minimum you can specify) the system calls that a fan failure and the first response is to send out a higher-speed signal to re-start it. If that works, the automatic system goes back to what it was doing before. BUT that may have been the cause of the stall, so it may happen over and over again. If the fan does NOT re-start you get a warning on your screen of the fan's failure.

Most fan headers also allow you to set a fixed speed and NOT use the automatic systems. In that mode of operation the header may NOT monitor for fan failure and do an automatic re-start. That is one way you can cause a fan to stall and not have it corrected for you.

TRENDING THREADS