Question Is it safe to take ownership of Program Files (and x86)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanishknishar

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2016
The default owner is the system but since it can cause privelege problems, I am wondering if changing the ownership for the entire directory to my account would be wise?

kanishknishar

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2016
DO NOT DO THIS.

What problem are you actually trying to solve?

Too late. My apps stopped working. I ran this command: icacls "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps" /reset /t /c /q

Now it seems to work. Did I do some irreparable damage? Are things back to the way are? Will some apps run slower?

I wanted to take ownership because I wanted to run a file from a game that Xbox (app) protected and whose ownership I could not take or open with even admin priveleges. Strange thing is even when I ran the aforementioned command, even cmd couldn't touch the Xbox game files. What kind of protection do these files have?

USAFRet

Titan
"Did I do some irreparable damage? "

Completely unknown.
And I am not going to investigate the intricacies of that command and switches. I'll leave that to you and where you found that command.

NOTE: It is generally not a good idea to run random commandline actions unless you know exactly what they do, and just as importantly, how to recover when things go bad.

kanishknishar

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2016
"Did I do some irreparable damage? "

Completely unknown.
And I am not going to investigate the intricacies of that command and switches. I'll leave that to you and where you found that command.

NOTE: It is generally not a good idea to run random commandline actions unless you know exactly what they do, and just as importantly, how to recover when things go bad.

I found it online.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/icacls

Ralston18

Titan
Question to @kanishknishar

"I wanted to take ownership because I wanted to run a file from a game that Xbox (app) protected and whose ownership I could not take or open with even admin priveleges. Strange thing is even when I ran the aforementioned command, even cmd couldn't touch the Xbox game files. What kind of protection do these files have?"

Are you trying to hack into a Xbox game or bypass copyright/admin protections?

kanishknishar

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2016
OK. And what led you to believe that this was the solution to your original issue?

In any case...your system may or may not be OK.

I saw this suggested as a solution for my problem. I'm doing a system image recovery from before the ownership change.

Another question: I have games installed on D that now Windows won't know because C doesn't have corresponding files. Same for Steam and Xbox games, if I just straight away format my disk, would that be an issue?

kanishknishar

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2016
Question to @kanishknishar

"I wanted to take ownership because I wanted to run a file from a game that Xbox (app) protected and whose ownership I could not take or open with even admin priveleges. Strange thing is even when I ran the aforementioned command, even cmd couldn't touch the Xbox game files. What kind of protection do these files have?"

Are you trying to hack into a Xbox game or bypass copyright/admin protections?

No. I was trying to run a file within the game folder which I couldn't because of permissions. Hence 'protection.'

Ralston18

Titan
Likewise cannot help with gaining ownership of the file.

You are attempting to run a protected file in a folder that you do not have access to.

Nor any applicable admin privileges.

You tried using a Windows command to modify Access Control lists or otherwise manipulate user access rights.

Overall providing assistance with such efforts is in violation of Forum rules.

Closing thread accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.