[SOLVED] Is it safe to undervolt with intel XTU?

marioxxx321

Commendable
May 28, 2018
Hello.

I bought used i7 4790 without K, no OC and my temperatures under big load are tad too high.
I will be replacing thermal paste once again when i get the paste and installing my cooler properly because now one of the pins from my cooler doesn't connect with MOBO but is not falling off.

But going back to the question - I think my default CPU voltages are at 1.150, and i read about undervolting that it can make temperatures lower if setup correctly..
If yes then how much i can undervolt this? Someone suggested to me to go to 1.050-1.070 max for this CPU but i don't know if it would be safe using this intel XTU program.

My MOBO is H81M-E34.

Cheers.

Solution
The only thing that can happen is for windows or software you are using to freeze so if you are doing something important after undervolting you might lose data.
Which is why during undervolting you have to decrease the voltage step by step and each time test al the software you are using to search for things that crash.
If you are only playing games than you can get away with only testing a demanding game.

But since your cooler isn't properly installed you should first do that because then undervolting will become unnecessary.
The only thing that can happen is for windows or software you are using to freeze so if you are doing something important after undervolting you might lose data.
Which is why during undervolting you have to decrease the voltage step by step and each time test al the software you are using to search for things that crash.
If you are only playing games than you can get away with only testing a demanding game.

But since your cooler isn't properly installed you should first do that because then undervolting will become unnecessary.

Solution