Question Is it safe to upgrade windows version using keys avaliable online

thuanquoc2001

Prominent
Jan 28, 2018
I got a laptop which come with winodws 10 home preinstalled, i tried upgrading to windows 10 pro using a microsoft account which is linked to a windnows 10 pro key but it did not work, so i went online and i found a few sites which have lots of windows 10 keys on it. Can i use them to upgrade my windows 10 from home to pro?

Are any of them sold by microsoft?
If not, then no they are not a good idea.

You can find plenty of threads on here about the risk of grey market keys. The short of it is they are non-genuine/stolen keys that can be revoked at any time whenever MS does a sweep to pull keys.

Reactions: Justin_53

thuanquoc2001

Prominent
Jan 28, 2018
Are any of them sold by microsoft?
If not, then no they are not a good idea.

You can find plenty of threads on here about the risk of grey market keys. The short of it is they are non-genuine/stolen keys that can be revoked at any time whenever MS does a sweep to pull keys.
If the revoke that key, will it go back to the original key? Or the original key be revoked as well?

just a side note, my ms account has 3 windows 10 licences (2x pro , 1x home)
2 of them are OEM and are tied to hardware, only 1 of them is retail
and so far had no issues with reactivating
anyway one licence per computer...so if your pro key is already used on another PC, u cant use it on another, in case PC with pro licence died and u know windows wont run ever again on it, then ull may need to delete that PC from your account
still in any case u will need to have any form of licence KEY to enter it (retail key), doest matter if u got it from M$ in email, or you got sticker, but never use "free" keys laying on google, in that case u may be better of just installing win 10 pro and not entering any key

Aug 28, 2019
To upgrade from Home to Pro you first need to install Pro then enter the new Pro activation key. There are cheap codes on Amazon with plenty of good reviews. I tried one recently and it works fine.