[SOLVED] Is it safe to use 2 molex to 8 pin adapter??

samurai7222

Prominent
Aug 10, 2020
So I'm thinking of buying the rx 570 for upgrading my pre-build but my psu doesn't have any 6 pin or 8 pin connectors but it does have 2 spare molex connectors so is it safe for the gpu to use a molex to 8 pin adapter because I can't buy a new psu because I'm very tight on budget.

Solution
My psu is zebion 450W 230V. I have a tight budget of 150 usd and rx 570 comes just under it and there's no way I can build a new pc from scratch.

The PSU is literal garbage -- even if it weren't, it's only actually a 216W PSU in modern terms -- so you do not have the budget for an RX 570 because the budget for an RX 570 necessarily includes the cost of the power supply needed to safely power it. It you have the money for a Lamborghini and not the car insurance, gasoline, or maintenance, you don't have the money for the Lamborghini.

Save up until you have a budget sufficient to buy the necessary power supply for an RX 570. This will likely be between $60-$75 depending on where the PSU market goes in these shortages.

This power...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Thumb rule, if your PSU lacks the necessary connectors, that PSU is not supposed to be with your build, powering your components. Make and model of your PSU? Age of the unit?

I can't buy a new psu because I'm very tight on budget.
I'd also like you to do an assessment of your budget. If the PSU you have blows everything up(assuming it's not up to snuff for the entire system), can you buy/build a new computer from the scratch?

samurai7222

Prominent
Aug 10, 2020
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Thumb rule, if your PSU lacks the necessary connectors, that PSU is not supposed to be with your build, powering your components. Make and model of your PSU? Age of the unit?

I can't buy a new psu because I'm very tight on budget.
I'd also like you to do an assessment of your budget. If the PSU you have blows everything up(assuming it's not up to snuff for the entire system), can you buy/build a new computer from the scratch?
My psu is zebion 450W 230V. I have a tight budget of 150 usd and rx 570 comes just under it and there's no way I can build a new pc from scratch.

RX570 system needs some 500w.
Here is a handy chart for other options:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

If your psu were capable of running 8 pin, it would come with it.
Past that, older power supplies delivered their power at3 and 5v, not at 12v where processors and graphics cards need the power.

A GTX1650 does not need aux power and performs similarly to the RX570 and should cost about the same.

DSzymborski

Titan

The PSU is literal garbage -- even if it weren't, it's only actually a 216W PSU in modern terms -- so you do not have the budget for an RX 570 because the budget for an RX 570 necessarily includes the cost of the power supply needed to safely power it. It you have the money for a Lamborghini and not the car insurance, gasoline, or maintenance, you don't have the money for the Lamborghini.

Save up until you have a budget sufficient to buy the necessary power supply for an RX 570. This will likely be between $60-$75 depending on where the PSU market goes in these shortages.

This power supply is so firmly in the garbage tier and such low output that I wouldn't add any GPU to it. Connecting an RX 570 with two molex adapters has a very high chance of destroying components, from single components to the whole PC.

Solution

DSzymborski

Titan
For anyone who wants to see the horror that is this power supply, for reference.

1d88e536f6bab46302f081a07143517d.png

Reactions: madmatt30

samurai7222

Prominent
Aug 10, 2020

This power supply is so firmly in the garbage tier and such low output that I wouldn't add any GPU to it. Connecting an RX 570 with two molex adapters has a very high chance of destroying components, from single components to the whole PC.
Okay so I found two options for the psu online one is the corsair cv450 which is 45 usd and corsair VS550 which is 50 usd so which one of these should I buy?