Is it safe to use a 1 molex to 6 pin pci-e adaptor to power a GTX 1060?

toxaris71

Prominent
May 22, 2017
My 500W Cooler Master power supply has a 6 pin pci-e connector, but the GTX 1060 I plan on buying requires an 8 pin pci-e connector, and it comes with a 2x 6pin to 8 pin adaptor. So it requires 2 6 pin pci-e connectors for the adaptor, and I already have 1 from the psu, but would it be safe to convert a single molex to another 6 pin pci-e using this adaptor?

6hKSmCe.jpg

All the 6 pin pci-e adaptors I've seen use 2 molex connectors, which is why I'm unsure about this, but two of these adaptors came with a Sapphire R9 270x I bought a while ago, so maybe they are legitimate?

Thank you!

Solution
The adaptors themselves are safe enough, as others have said though it's the quality of the PSU that's important and it's ability to supply enough current.

Where it can get tricky even with a good supply is when there are multiple 12V rails because it's difficult to know if you are spreading the load across rails or just loading one of them up. For that reason it's safest to stick with the manufacturers connectors on multi rail supplies. On a good quality single rail supply it's not an issue.

On another tack, it'll probably work but you are taking a risk. The 270x you mentioned uses more power than a 1060 so if it worked then the 1060 should as well. It's up to you if you want to risk it. You really should never cheap out on power...
Years ago I had an Antec 500W PSU. It came with two 6pin plugs. This was before 8pin plugs came out. Your "500W" PSU only has one?

Flash forward a few years and my 450W PSU has two 6+2pin plugs. Your "500W" PSU has none? Yes, it's an older lower quality unit. I would replace it.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

It is certainly not a GPU I want to try to get significant power through a Molex from, it's a very old AcBel Polytech, which isn't one of the manufacturers that anyone is likely to ever suggest.

Dugimodo

Distinguished
The adaptors themselves are safe enough, as others have said though it's the quality of the PSU that's important and it's ability to supply enough current.

Where it can get tricky even with a good supply is when there are multiple 12V rails because it's difficult to know if you are spreading the load across rails or just loading one of them up. For that reason it's safest to stick with the manufacturers connectors on multi rail supplies. On a good quality single rail supply it's not an issue.

On another tack, it'll probably work but you are taking a risk. The 270x you mentioned uses more power than a 1060 so if it worked then the 1060 should as well. It's up to you if you want to risk it. You really should never cheap out on power supplies, it is probably the single most important component in a PC and the only one capable of destroying all the rest.

Solution

toxaris71

Prominent
May 22, 2017
Thank you everyone for the kind help. I decided to buy an EVGA 500 W1 power supply to replace this one since it has two 6+2pin connectors, and it has 80+ (not bronze) power efficiency, instead of the 70+ with my current one. I found out that even this Evga one is not very good quality (had so much faith in evga I skipped reading reviews before purchasing), but it's higher quality than the Extreme Power Plus, and I just hope it's quality is reasonable enough.