[SOLVED] Is it safe to use a 20 pin atx on a 24 pin board in my use case?

dogester366

Reputable
Jan 2, 2018
So I have a Core 2 Duo E8400 and a random LGA 775 motherboard I was going to use as a small NAS server. I'm trying to make the computer as small as possible, so I want to use my smallest power supply that I have. The problem is, that power supply is only a 20 pin. I won't have any expansion cards, so the total power draw under full load will be under 100w. Not to mention that its going to be at 30% tdp or less most of the time. The power supply I wanted to use is a Delta DPS-220UB A. My other option that is larger, but also a 24 pin, is a Bestec TFX0250D5W Rev. 4. The motherboard I was going to do this on is a ECS G41T-M Version 2.0. No cd drives or hard drives either, its all ssd.

Solution
So I have a Core 2 Duo E8400 and a random LGA 775 motherboard I was going to use as a small NAS server. I'm trying to make the computer as small as possible, so I want to use my smallest power supply that I have. The problem is, that power supply is only a 20 pin. I won't have any expansion cards, so the total power draw under full load will be under 100w. Not to mention that its going to be at 30% tdp or less most of the time. The power supply I wanted to use is a Delta DPS-220UB A. My other option that is larger, but also a 24 pin, is a Bestec TFX0250D5W Rev. 4. The motherboard I was going to do this on is a ECS G41T-M Version 2.0. No cd drives or hard drives either, its all ssd.
Yes, that should be fine.

RealBeast

Titan
Yes, that should be fine.

Solution