Is it safe to use a 4 pin to 8 pin adapter to power my cpu?

Solution

I wouldnt buy a cooler master PSU, I would recommend an EVGA, seasonic, XFX, or Antec. And if it requires an 8 pin there is a reason so dont use it unless you connect the right cables.

Itsbranden97

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015
It might work but I wouldn't trust it. If your PSU doesn't have an 8 pin cpu cable, it might not put out enough power to actually run your CPU.

That being said, you can try to use only the 4 pin and see what happens - I used my PC like that for a week or 2 before my new PSU came in as well and it worked fine.

btw what PSU do you have

shafeeislam

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015

My psu is an alpine 700w. Il be upgrading to a cooler master 500w semi modular 80 plus bronze one in around two to three weeks of installing the cpu. will the 4 be enough to power it?

Itsbranden97

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015
Well I wouldn't use that PSU at all, its old and cheap. However, the only review that I found that listed its specs showed it has a 4+4 pin connector, which is the CPU connector.

Personally, I would toss it in the trash and wait until you buy something better - its not worth the risk.

ZeroGravity780

Reputable
Oct 28, 2014

I wouldnt buy a cooler master PSU, I would recommend an EVGA, seasonic, XFX, or Antec. And if it requires an 8 pin there is a reason so dont use it unless you connect the right cables.

Solution