Question Is it safe to use a component that was probably damaged by soup?

May 2, 2022
So, my brother spilled a bowl of ramen over his PC while it was turned on. He told me that his screen went black but the fans were still spinning and he unplugged everything quickly. After deservedly scolding him (I helped him buy and assemble his rig) I obviously offered him help. Soup could be seen on the CPU heatsink, all over the MoBo, on the PCIE slot, in between the GPU, on the base of the RAM sticks and some of it on top of the PSU. I took everything apart and dried every part the best I could with absorbent paper and q-tips. After that I cleaned everything with isopropyl alcohol and dried everything again. I used a macro lens on my phone camera to ensure soup was removed from every part I could see. After letting everything sit and dry for a couple of days I reapplied thermal paste and built everything back. The fans start spinning when I press the power button but then stop immediately after I release it.

I want to check which parts are still working by testing them on my own mobo/build. But I'm afraid I can screw something up. I would start with the Ram sticks, then swap the gpu and then cpu. Thing is I use my PC for work besides gaming so If something gets damaged I'm in trouble. (Both systems are Ryzen/Radeon combos over ASUS Mobos)

Is it safe to swap his components for mine in order to test them?

Thank you all in advance =)

D

Deleted member 362816

Nothing in a case like this is "safe" But I doubt you will run into a issue testing his components on your system. I would bet from my personal experience everything will be fine except the motherboard.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You could disassemble the tire system, look through the extent of the damage both in around the spill area, disassemble the part that was afflicted by the soup, then deep clean the afflicted component.

For your case, I see you buying an ultrasonic cleaner and having each component deep cleaned to rid it off the soup residue.