Is it safe to use a gaming laptop with 9th-Gen Intel Core i5?

krelidas_34

Honorable
Sep 23, 2018
Most of the laptops sold in South Korea are sold with 8th/9th-gen Intel CPUs. I wish to build a solid desktop, but due to lack of space in my house, I can't. And Ryzen laptops are rare and pricey for a gaming laptop. But if I opt for a Intel 9th Gen laptop, I worry about Meltdown and Spectre. Although it offers some protection against these vulnerabilities, it's not as good as Ryzen counterparts. However, one user said that day-to-day use with the vulnerable PCs aren't a problem; it's only for server farming that has these problems. Otherwise, they might need to use side-channel attacks to exploit your computer-gaining access to your everyday machine is hard...

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Not to mention that one has to take into consideration how "juicy" a target some random person's home computer is.

Let me tell you, it's not.

Very few attacks (though not zero) are undertaken just for amusement. If there's no significant payoff for the attacker, why waste the time?

Not that things like Meltdown & Spectre should not be publicized, but those who really need to worry about these potential attack surfaces are really not home users.

One of my favorite quotations with regard to computer security and risk assessment:

In the computer security field, we often say that one doesn't need Fort Knox to safeguard a broken bicycle.
~ Glenn Glazer, M.S. ’07 UCLA Security & Cryptography,
April 25, 2019, in Message on Groups.io Beta Group

Reactions: krelidas_34

krelidas_34

Honorable
Sep 23, 2018
Not to mention that one has to take into consideration how "juicy" a target some random person's home computer is.

Let me tell you, it's not.

Very few attacks (though not zero) are undertaken just for amusement. If there's no significant payoff for the attacker, why waste the time?

Not that things like Meltdown & Spectre should not be publicized, but those who really need to worry about these potential attack surfaces are really not home users.

One of my favorite quotations with regard to computer security and risk assessment:

In the computer security field, we often say that one doesn't need Fort Knox to safeguard a broken bicycle.
~ Glenn Glazer, M.S. ’07 UCLA Security & Cryptography,
April 25, 2019, in Message on Groups.io Beta Group
Thanks for the info!