[SOLVED] Is it safe to use a laptop plugged in always having a 100% worn-out Li-ion battery installed in it?

Apr 21, 2022
I have a HP laptop. It is almost 2.5 years old and its battery has gone 100% worn out. It can not run the laptop for even a minute without the power cord plugged in.
Now I am too busy to change the battery.
Is it harmful to use the use the laptop plugged in to power cord all time with the worn out battery installed?
Can this cause the machine to explode or any harm to the internal circuit board and the components?

Solution
I have a HP laptop. It is almost 2.5 years old and its battery has gone 100% worn out. It can not run the laptop for even a minute without the power cord plugged in.
Is it harmful to use the use the laptop plugged in to power cord all time with the worn out battery installed?
Can this cause the machine to explode or any harm to the internal circuit board and the components?
The problem with a failed battery is the fire hazard. Providing the AC source could allow the battery to overheat.
Apr 21, 2022
  1. Is it harmful to use the use the laptop plugged in to power cord all time with the worn out battery installed?
  2. Can this cause the machine to explode or any harm to the internal circuit board and the components?
  3. What if I remove the battery and use an external UPS like power source and/or the power cord? Is if a safe practice for a non-removable Li-ion battery? Can this harm the laptop?

Apr 21, 2022

1. Is it harmful to use the use the laptop plugged in to power cord all time with the worn out battery installed?
  2. Can this cause the machine to explode or any harm to the internal circuit board and the components?
  3. What if I remove the battery and use an external UPS like power source and/or the power cord? Is if a safe practice for a non-removable Li-ion battery? Can this harm the laptop?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
  1. Generally no, this is expected. Only if the battery is ballooning out would this be dangerous.
  2. See above
  3. It is pretty normal to run a laptop off the power cord only with no battery.

If the battery is truly non-removeable, it is still almost certainly plugged in, un plug it. See if the laptop will run from cord.

Not really sure how/why a UPS would be involved. Power is power in that regard.

Reactions: VincentJullie03

eldridgep2

Commendable
Dec 24, 2020

If you can take out the battery and just run off the cord please do so, having a non removable battery in a laptop is really weird are you sure it is not removable? Can you post the model/serial number?

Old batteries like that will swell over time making them hard to remove and also warping the laptop case and could in the worst case scenario be a fire risk. Don't panic thats highly unlikely but is possible if you can run it without the battery do so.

kanewolf

Titan
The problem with a failed battery is the fire hazard. Providing the AC source could allow the battery to overheat.

Solution