[SOLVED] is it safe to use a refurbished psu ?

Jul 9, 2020
Hello guys so my thermaltake smart rgb 500W been making some weird noises and fan goes loud and spin fast when under load ( everything was fine the first 9 months ) so I sent it back to the store he gave it to the after sale service and I'm waiting for the replacement ( or maybe they just fix it ) the question is :

is it safe to use the refurbished psu they will send ? and for ur informations I live in algeria and our after sale service is not trusted so what do you think guys !

My specs :

RYZEN 5 2600X

8GB RAM 2666Mhz

MSI GTX 1660 GAMING X

ASUS B450M-K PRIME

ADR CASE RGB

Solution
Hello guys so my thermaltake smart rgb 500W been making some weird noises and fan goes loud and spin fast when under load ( everything was fine the first 9 months ) so I sent it back to the store he gave it to the after sale service and I'm waiting for the replacement ( or maybe they just fix it ) the question is :

is it safe to use the refurbished psu they will send ? and for ur informations I live in algeria and our after sale service is not trusted so what do you think guys !

My specs :

RYZEN 5 2600X

8GB RAM 2666Mhz

MSI GTX 1660 GAMING X

ASUS B450M-K PRIME

ADR CASE RGB

The store isn't going to repair the PSU.

Thermaltake isn't going to refurbish it.

That PSU is so cheap, it's not worth the labor to refurbish it...

My specs :

RYZEN 5 2600X

8GB RAM 2666Mhz

MSI GTX 1660 GAMING X

ASUS B450M-K PRIME

ADR CASE RGB

That PSU is so cheap, it's not worth the labor to refurbish it.

They're going to get a replacement from Thermatlake.

Solution
Jul 9, 2020

That PSU is so cheap, it's not worth the labor to refurbish it.

They're going to get a replacement from Thermatlake.
so when the replacement arrives should I use it for a while till a i buy another one ?

Jul 12, 2020
so when the replacement arrives should I use it for a while till a i buy another one ?
Why would you not use it? they will send a new unit and it also will have the remainder of the original warranty.

If you wanted to buy another one becasue you don't want Thermaltake anymore, you could have saved the trouble of RMA the broken unit.

Reactions: jonnyguru
Jul 9, 2020
Why would you not use it? they will send a new unit and it also will have the remainder of the original warranty.

If you wanted to buy another one becasue you don't want Thermaltake anymore, you could have saved the trouble of RMA the broken unit.
do after sale service refurbish psus ? because rma is with the manufacturer but mine is not , that's why I'm. having fears
I just want to know if I should trust them and use it for a while till I save money for a new unit

Jul 9, 2020

are you sure they will send a new unit if thats true then I'm fine with it till I get a new one but I was wondering if they send me a refurbished one should I trust them and use it that's all !?

Jul 12, 2020
are you sure they will send a new unit if thats true then I'm fine with it till I get a new one but I was wondering if they send me a refurbished one should I trust them and use it that's all !?
Only way to be sure is to wait and see.
Refurbished or re-conditioned doesn't mean it is used. It could be a unit that someone returned. I have purchased refurbished vacuums, power tools and other items. 60% of the price, full warranty, and have been reliable for decades. If someone returns an item even without using, the seller is legally not allowed to sell it as a new item, that is where refurbished items come from.

In case of a car, the shop will repair it, because giving you a new car every time there is a warranty repair would be costly. In case of a PSU, it is cheaper to give you a new PSU instead of someone repairing it. New PSU are made by robots and cheap unskilled labor. A repair is done by a highly skilled person. The manufacturer maybe pays $30 to have the PSU manufactured, a repair would cost them $40... hence they just give you a new unit.

Jul 9, 2020
Only way to be sure is to wait and see.
Refurbished or re-conditioned doesn't mean it is used. It could be a unit that someone returned. I have purchased refurbished vacuums, power tools and other items. 60% of the price, full warranty, and have been reliable for decades. If someone returns an item even without using, the seller is legally not allowed to sell it as a new item, that is where refurbished items come from.

In case of a car, the shop will repair it, because giving you a new car every time there is a warranty repair would be costly. In case of a PSU, it is cheaper to give you a new PSU instead of someone repairing it. New PSU are made by robots and cheap unskilled labor. A repair is done by a highly skilled person. The manufacturer maybe pays $30 to have the PSU manufactured, a repair would cost them $40... hence they just give you a new unit.
I hope so
Thank you sm that was helpful so refurbished psus are okey ? that's good because I'm going to use for barely one month until i buy new unit